How do you study for a retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my @$$ handed to me on the August 20th MCAT... but I think it was more because I wasn't in the proper "mindset" on test day... it wasn't so much not knowing the material.

I'm planning to retake in January... how do I prepare for this beast again :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

In regards to mindset..

Rather then look at the MCAT as a hurdle that gets in your way, try to view the exam as more of a chance, an opportunity really, to show medical schools what you are capable of.

How did you study for the exam?

When I retook the exam I focused alot more on practice tests, rather then review, and did much better.

I took 6 kaplan tests and all of the AAMCs. I was doing pretty well on the practice tests and was happy with my scores. I normally got 12+ in the sciences. Ended up with a 10 9 10 on the real thing. I am clueless as to what happened with the sciences.. I was still expecting around a 32 on the real thing... hoping the curve would help me. I found myself pretty much making educated guesses throughout the whole test. On the practice tests, I normally knew whether I got something right or wrong. It really just felt like a speed reading test to me.

I took 6 kaplan tests and all of the AAMCs. I was doing pretty well on the practice tests and was happy with my scores. I normally got 12+ in the sciences. Ended up with a 10 9 10 on the real thing. I am clueless as to what happened with the sciences..

MCAT score 29 is a decent score. I would seriously reconsider retaking it. I retook it 4 times. Everytime I think I would do better in one section, I end up with a lower score. Getting a 11 or higher is no trivial matter. It depends quite a bit on who you are competing on that day taking the test rather than on the actual raw score. If you can make a 33 or higher the next time you take it then you are in good shape. If you end up getting a 25 or lower then you ARE EXPOSED!

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT score 29 is a decent score. I would seriously reconsider retaking it. I retook it 4 times. Everytime I think I would do better in one section, I end up with a lower score. Getting a 11 or higher is no trivial matter. It depends quite a bit on who you are competing on that day taking the test rather than on the actual raw score. If you can make a 33 or higher the next time you take it then you are in good shape. If you end up getting a 25 or lower then you ARE EXPOSED!

I'm not sure about this. I thought the scale was based on how other people did on test items that were in previous exams, rather than everyone that day pitted against each other. ?

I'm not sure about this. I thought the scale was based on how other people did on test items that were in previous exams, rather than everyone that day pitted against each other. ?

It should be against people taking the same test as you. However, I don't think it varies that much between testing days. Looking at the AAMC CBT scaled scores, the raw score required for each bracket is almost the same for every test.