How do you support yourself through dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who will receive no parental support, how are you supposed to support yourself through dental school? I'm assuming loans...but do you get enough in loans to pay your tuition, fees, and books (PLUS) rent, utilities, food, car payment, car insurance, etc? Just wondering how it all works for dental students. Are you all eating ramen, or do loans cover you enough to live comfortably and focus purely on classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Your school will probably let you borrow a certain amount of money for living expenses. This is what happens at my school and this was the information I received at other school's interviews last year.

One piece of advice I've heard is live like you're a student while you are a student or you'll be living like a student when you are a dentist. There is enough money for me to live in a nice, clean, spacious enough 1BR apartment without a whole lot of frills, to go out on occasion, to eat something besides ramen and for a few small extras. You just have to make a budget and stick to it. Also, I try to remember how much something superflous may end up costing me considering it is all bought from loan money and that involves interest.

I will admit that the occasional check for one bill or another or 20 dollar bill comes from my parents because they don't want me to miss out on things because of money. However, they also want me to be able to live without roommates so they can stay in my apartment when they visit, even if it means I need a little help now and then.

Good luck!

I would suggest to go ahead and talk to a financial aid person at the closest dental school. They can help you out so that when you do get into school you won't have a ton of bills. Something as simple as not getting a new car(i.e. car payments) a year before school can make a big differece. Keep in mind that while your in school you'll spent a lot of time at school and no-one (except you) gives a rip what you drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
4,000 dentists graduate each year from the nation's schools. Rest assured, not all of them are financial wizards. If you contact some financial aid people and explain your situation, they'll help you find the assets you need for school.

finally a meaningful new thread.

also many thanks to dragonfly and aphistis.
this issue has been in my mind for weeks now.