How do you tell a program that you will rank them #1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyc12345678

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell a program that you've interviewed with that you will rank them #1?

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly that way :p Explain why they are your top choice and why you hope to be an asset to their residency.

Wait until closer to the end of interview season. It doesn't mean as much when you still have several interviews to go on and still plenty of time to change your mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly that way :p Explain why they are your top choice and why you hope to be an asset to their residency.

Wait until closer to the end of interview season. It doesn't mean as much when you still have several interviews to go on and still plenty of time to change your mind.

I did not know that you could directly tell programs that. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

You can tell programs that, but programs cannot tell you where they plan to rank you (match violation). You can also tell programs this, but it is likely to carry little weight. Programs have no way of knowing if you're sending that e-mail to just them or everywhere you interview. If you want to send a letter near the end of interview season to your top program (or even top few) and explain why you loved them then go for it. Don't say you're going to rank them #1 though. It's likely to make little difference and can come across the wrong way.

It's a bit involved, but here's what works in my experience.

1. Open your email account.
2. Create a new email.
3. Enter the PD's email into the "to" line.
4. Click on the body of the email and write, "Dear Dr. So-and-so, I greatly enjoyed my time getting to know your program. I intend to ran it #1. Sincerely, NYC."
5. Hit "send."
6. Profit.

BTW, the program I ranked #1 and where I matched -- when I emailed the PD sharing my intent to rank them #1, he replied and said he was "delighted," and that I was ranked "very, very high on their list." It's not specific enough to be a match violation, but it is encouraging. So you might be able to get a hint that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

You can tell and they can tell, but neither of you can ask. They can make offers (if you come we'll give you...), but no one can make contingencies (we'll give you x but only if rank us #1).

That doesn't mean that everyone plays by the rules: if it's not in writing you'll never prove that it happened. I experienced one clear match violation and one highly misleading statement. I know many others who have been flat out lied to by programs and, obviously, applicants lie as well... so it's all a little shady unless it's on paper and needs many salt grains.

You can tell and they can tell, but neither of you can ask. They can make offers (if you come we'll give you...), but no one can make contingencies (we'll give you x but only if rank us #1).
This. No quid pro quo!
(Suppressing small shiver of satisfaction at getting to write that phrase.)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Telling me at this point in the application season will carry no weight. You should wait until the end of interview season and then inform the program that it is #1 on your list. Remember you can't ask a program where you are. The program might tell you on their own where you are but most don't since there will only be a max of about 200 students who are #1, the vast majority of applicants will not be #1 but will still get into the program that they want.

Telling me at this point in the application season will carry no weight. You should wait until the end of interview season and then inform the program that it is #1 on your list. Remember you can't ask a program where you are. The program might tell you on their own where you are but most don't since there will only be a max of about 200 students who are #1, the vast majority of applicants will not be #1 but will still get into the program that they want.

You could tell someone that they are ranked "in the top x" with x being the number of slots that you have, which means that they will match to you if they rank you #1.

Personally, I have a strong dislike for this whole game. If a PD ever says that you are "ranked to match," "top of the list," or anything else that isn't 100% unambiguous with a number, it means nothing more than "we probably ranked you somewhere." I would love to see a lawsuit based on a "ranked to match" statement.

The truth is that telling a program you are ranking them #1 doesn't change much. Applicants are ranked by order of perceived talent. We don't know how many or which of the applicants above you are also ranking us #1 because most applicants don't show their hand. Moving you up might make the match results look better to anyone who knows the list but this is at the expense of weakening the program's match results in reality, the only place it will improve is on paper.

It is also amusing when applicants send out "I'm ranking you very highly" which could mean that they think they aren't allowed to tell us we are number 1. It is more likely that this means that they are ranking us #2 or #3 which is intended to be nice, but isn't all that flattering. If we are not your #1, we would rather you get your #1 than be in our program disappointed. Focus on locations you will be happy and have a support system then cross your fingers and go with the flow.

Reactions: 2 users
Although I mostly disagree with the practice, telling us that we're your #1 does get you a bump. Not enough of a bump that it would significantly alter the outcome of the match, except at the margins (obviously), however.

You could tell someone that they are ranked "in the top x" with x being the number of slots that you have, which means that they will match to you if they rank you #1.

Personally, I have a strong dislike for this whole game. If a PD ever says that you are "ranked to match," "top of the list," or anything else that isn't 100% unambiguous with a number, it means nothing more than "we probably ranked you somewhere." ...
Which is the same thing as your vague email saying "I'm ranking you highly." It means we're not #1, but maybe somewhere on your list (if you're not lying).

We really don't need to know. Ethical programs will never ask to know. And if you don't get a "ranked to match" email, it simply means WE DON'T SEND them!

Again--focus on building your own list, according to the criteria that matter to YOU. We're not trying to read your minds and guess how you're ranking us, although we're just as curious and sometimes anxious as you are about what the outcome will be.

Which is the same thing as your vague email saying "I'm ranking you highly." It means we're not #1, but maybe somewhere on your list (if you're not lying). We really don't need to know.

To clarify what I meant: my post from the other thread "I would avoid an "I'm going to rank you ____*" statement, but maybe a "I really like your program because X Y and Z." Basically saying, "I'd be thrilled to match here" with the exception of an honest I'm ranking you 1 because some PDs openly admit that they chance their rank lists even though I personally don't like that either. Applicants can be just as bad as PDs in this process and I know that some send multiple #1 emails.

I would never write an email beyond I like you and never promise to rank a program highly, only that I would be happy to work there, which I think is fair.

I also understand that the *you* was not me ☺️

To clarify what I meant: my post from the other thread "I would avoid an "I'm going to rank you ____*" statement, but maybe a "I really like your program because X Y and Z." Basically saying, "I'd be thrilled to match here" with the exception of an honest I'm ranking you 1 because some PDs openly admit that they chance their rank lists even though I personally don't like that either. Applicants can be just as bad as PDs in this process and I know that some send multiple #1 emails.

I would never write an email beyond I like you and never promise to rank a program highly, only that I would be happy to work there, which I think is fair.

I also understand that the *you* was not me ☺

what do you mean by some PD chance their rank lists?

Which is the same thing as your vague email saying "I'm ranking you highly." It means we're not #1, but maybe somewhere on your list (if you're not lying).

We really don't need to know. Ethical programs will never ask to know. And if you don't get a "ranked to match" email, it simply means WE DON'T SEND them!

Again--focus on building your own list, according to the criteria that matter to YOU. We're not trying to read your minds and guess how you're ranking us, although we're just as curious and sometimes anxious as you are about what the outcome will be.

This is right. Don't try to game things. It won't work.

DO NOT rank a program where you do not want to go

DO rank programs where you do want to go