how do you tell a school "thanks, but no thanks"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearsfan55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem rather easy for some out there, but I just don't know how to call a school and tell them that you are declining their offer... Maybe I just don't like awkward convos.. One of the schools that I got into (my #2 choice) was very nice to me and I got to know many members of their staff throughout the process... Their admissions director called me on Monday and told me about the news and even went as far as to say, "now I don't want you tellin me that you're going to another school now." They even gave me a partial scholarship to attend.. Any advice?? thanks guys and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

This may seem rather easy for some out there, but I just don't know how to call a school and tell them that you are declining their offer... Maybe I just don't like awkward convos.. One of the schools that I got into (my #2 choice) was very nice to me and I got to know many members of their staff throughout the process... Their admissions director called me on Monday and told me about the news and even went as far as to say, "now I don't want you tellin me that you're going to another school now." They even gave me a partial scholarship to attend.. Any advice?? thanks guys and good luck with everything!!

You would say,

Thank you very much for your offer. As difficult as it is for me to do this I am going to have to decline your offer for x and x reasons. Your school was really impressive and it is incredibly difficult for me to do this. However so and so school etc...

you get the picture. Just be p-olite and dont say anything you may regret later.

oh the power of email :cool: be straight forward and honest. you're not the first person to turn down an offer from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick responses and great advice... I just feel like I owe it to this school to give them a phone call... I can just see him being really disappointed and feeling like I just "led them on" in this whole process.. I definately am guilty of making them feel like my number 1 choice this whole process.. I really loved the school but at the end of the day I wanna stay in my home town.. I guess we'll see what happens.. thanks again everyone!

I am planning to make my final decision at the end of this week

Now, I am waiting for a few snail mails....COME ON~~ :laugh:

Be polite and formal because you never know in four years you may be reapplying for a specialty at that school and not that a good reputation is going to help more than something else, but if you are harsh and impolite they may keep a black mark on your record somewhere.