How do you tell the people you love and care about that you got into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcosma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear these stories!! Also I'm feeling like I want to tell EVERYBODY including the baristas at the coffee shop where I wrote all of my secondaries lmao

What do you say? Do you just tell people or do you have a cute, flirty, coy lead up to it?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I called my husband and then my father as soon as I found out and ugly cried on the phone.

I also found out on our youngest child’s birthday, so we all went out to dinner and broke the news to the kids there.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
@sagehen47 Congratulations!

So apparently these t-shirts are a thing.
81d1%2BPXCnyL._UL1500_.jpg

And then when you actually start med-school then these t-shirts are a thing...
med_grey_flatlay_1024x1024.jpg

C1ce8y0uOwS._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C71Xv3eZo0EL.png%7C0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0._UL1500_.png

3047451_0.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@sagehen47 Congratulations!

So apparently these t-shirts are a thing.
81d1%2BPXCnyL._UL1500_.jpg

And then when you actually start med-school then these t-shirts are a thing...
med_grey_flatlay_1024x1024.jpg

C1ce8y0uOwS._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C71Xv3eZo0EL.png%7C0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0._UL1500_.png

3047451_0.jpg
the only people I can really see wearing these are the IG 'models' who end up failing out of a Caribbean med school.

Attachments

• 1571247852280.png
    1571247852280.png
    726.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
the only people I can really see wearing these are the IG 'models' who end up failing out of a Caribbean med school.

She cute tho - like the naturopathy girls on IG that I definitely do not follow

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
"I got into medical school"

This is cringe.

Ok drop the attitude bucko! Different strokes for different folks :) My friends and family have been supporting me for years as I’ve worked towards this - deadpanning that I got in is just ... not fun. Calling my best friend and asking if they know how much airfare is between them and the city of my dream school after I get in? Much more fun.

with words

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
She cute tho - like the naturopathy girls on IG that I definitely do not follow
Ikr, I’d be like, damn gurl, idc if you fail out to ‘become a full time ig model’ I can be a breadwinner

I called my husband and then my father as soon as I found out and ugly cried on the phone.

I also found out on our youngest child’s birthday, so we all went out to dinner and broke the news to the kids there.
i dont know if i should say congratulations or my condollescenses

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I kept it secret from most of my family all the way until Christmas (told my wife, one brother, and BIL), and we had gotten shirts with the school's logo for everyone in my family and my wife's family. Nobody really got it at first, though my dad was eventually able to figure out what we meant. We had to spell it out to my wife's family. 5/7 would do again.

I also had fun telling my wife when I got in. I actually found out in person because I was working at the school which was my first A (and where I matriculated) before/during the cycle, and I had gotten to know the admissions staff throughout the process, so she just emailed me at the end of a long day in the lab to ask if I was still on campus. I replied that I was and told her I could come down (knowing that I was going to have either a baller day or a terrible day very soon), and then she told me in person and we hugged and it was great. I got home and casually told my wife that I had gotten an email from the coordinator, and she got all excited and stuff, so then I showed her: "Are you still on campus?" My wife was confused AF and then I was able to surprise her like a boss with the actual news.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Texted my wife to call me ASAP then called my mom.
On the phone with my mom I was basically screaming “omg omg omg I got in”

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent the link to the acceptance video (this school is extra) to family. Then my mom told my grandpa. Then my grandpa told my extended family. Next thing I know my aunt is asking me when I am moving to Michigan and my cousin (a nurse) is messaging me on Facebook telling me “You should be a nurse first, doctors all just have their heads up their asses and need to see things from our perspective.”

TL;dr Just don’t tell family

Reactions: 13 users
I told few people. Eventually posted a picture to fb with a picture of me holding my acceptance letter and let it end there.

I called my husband from work, that is all I really remember.

I’ll say even less if i get pregnant ever.

I am clearly a buzzkill lol

Just tell them....LOL or bake a cake and write it on there..

I found out like 3 days before my birthday that I got into my number one. I had already gotten into my second choice which was giving my top choice a run for its money.

I actually missed the call and got a voicemail from the dean to call him back. So my wife and parents (we were visiting them) already knew pretty much.

Then to let everyone know which school I decided on, I did one of those recruiting things where I had two shirts (one for each school) and picked one lol. It was fun.

Reactions: 2 users
By not telling anyone until the point I absolutely have to. The minute I tell family theres going to be a server crash at Facebook from the posts and I cannot stand facebook parent bragging. Only exception is my sister. Between her, my girlfriend, and bestfriend I have 3 other languages the rest of my family cant understand to talk about it in.

Debating faking an arrest and going to "prison" 4 years as an alternative.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I got the phone call while working as a scribe. Asked the provider if I could answer the phone call, then continued on scribing. He asked me afterwards if everything was ok and I told him yeah, the call was to let me know I had gotten into medical school. That's my story, not very exciting lol.

By not telling anyone until the point I absolutely have to. The minute I tell family theres going to be a server crash at Facebook from the posts and I cannot stand facebook parent bragging. Only exception is my sister. Between her, my girlfriend, and bestfriend I have 3 other languages the rest of my family cant understand to talk about it in.

Debating faking an arrest and going to "prison" 4 years as an alternative.

Your sister and you speak a language your parents don’t? That’s convenient lol.

Reactions: 1 users