How do you thank a mentor/letter writer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indecisivepsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people recommend doing to thank a letter writer/mentor? A few professors, informal mentors, etc...

It's hard not to feel like most gifts err on the side of tacky (and of course a sincere note is a given).

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent them personal thank you cards, and I typically sent them a gift card to a local coffee shop because I knew they each drank coffee or tea... and if they did not want to use it themselves, they could always re-gift the card to a TA or somebody else.

I did handwritten thank you notes. Presents in the past have included a bottle of wine (I tried to hunt down through the grapevine what their favorite kind of wine was), a gift card to a place close to their house or work where they could get something fun/special (ex. not to Target or anything like that), or to someone who lives farther away where I have no idea of their personal tastes, an Amex/MC gift card or an Amazon gift card (if I know they shop online). I usually try to stay in the range of $25-30.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my current institution, professors are not to accept gifts from students. I would stick to thank you notes.

I wanted to do something more than a card, but not expensive (so as not to look improper). I made a 5x7 water color painting and put it in one of those signature picture mats. I had our whole research team sign the mat. The problem is I am not an artist at all!! So I downloaded coloring pages of her favorite show (Doctor Who) and just colored in the Tardis. I got decent picture frames on sale -- whole project less than 10 dollars. I thought it made a nice keepsake and was just a bit more special than a card.

If you are freaked out by the watercolor idea, you could print something from the Internet, or insert a pretty postcard of their favorite thing, flower, town, psychologist -- anything.

There's always the strip-a-gram thank you message...

I also was told by someone who is faculty and writes letters of recommendation to absolutely NOT give a gift. It puts the letter writer in an awkward position and also indicates that you do not understand the rules of ethical behavior. The only way giving a gift would be acceptable would be if you were absolutely sure you would never ask that person for a letter or any other favor in the future. Otherwise, not good practice!
This did sound harsh to me at first, since I felt so grateful I wanted to give them something! I actually ended up telling my letter writer : "I wish I could give you something...." and related the discussion above. She said, absolutely not, that would have been so awkward, I am so glad you didn't give me anything!
Just write a really nice and personal note.

I've definitely never experienced that... I've only given gifts after all letters have been completed. Asking a professor to write a LOR and submit it to 12-15 schools is a time crunch, and I think as long as you stick around $20-25 you are fine socially. Just about everybody I know at my institution gave some sort of present to their letter writers, and I've given presents to 6 professors/bosses at 4 different institutions without any issues or awkwardness. That being said, if your letter writer just wrote you one letter and didn't spend too much time on it, a thank you note is sufficient. If it's for the PhD application process, I would get a gift.

(Maybe this speaks to social norms at institutions/geographical areas- perhaps ask your fellow students what they plan to do).

I baked cupcakes for them. Bought some really nice packaging online and boxed up a set of four for each person. They all genuinely appreciated it, and I didn't get the impression that they were turned off by it. Also, several of them know that I like to bake. My program is smaller and more intimate, so I don't think this kind of thing is frowned upon where I'm at...

I wrote thank you notes for my letter writers and I think our lab teamed up to get our mentor a small giftcard to a restaurant we know she liked. Now that *I* am the letter writer sometimes (for undergrads), the thank you notes I get mean the world to me.

But I'm not upset when they're accompanied by cookies.