How do YOU wash your scrubs and/or volunteer jacket?

Gauss44

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
It occurred to me that it may be unethical to just drop it off at the laundromat with all of my other laundry since I don't wash my own clothes.

If you use color safe bleach, do you know if color safe bleach is as effective at killing germs as regular bleach?

If allowed on here, I could really use specific suggestions of what products to use, or what active ingredients to look for, and how to use them. PMing is fine.

Last edited:

Flashfan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2010
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I don't normally get so covered in filth that it is a problem, so I wash them with my regular clothes. Only once did I wash them alone, twice.

Fedekz

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I wash my uniforms with all my other clothes every time. I've never separated them out, and I'm going to guess my stuff is nastier, and dirtier than yours (paramedic/police officer). Never had an issue.

Unless you're coming back from Western Africa working directly with Ebola patients don't be a ***** and just wash you clothes :)

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Wash my jacket? And lose that classic scent?

OP
G

Gauss44

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow, other forums I visited online seemed much more cautious mentioning issues of home and laundromat water temperatures not getting hot enough to kill some germs, contaminating other people's laundry, safety of workers at laundromat (who's kids help fold clothes), mrsa and c diff only can be killed with non-color safe bleach, etc. Some nurses online even mentioned storing their dirty scrubs in plastic bags in the garage so they don't bring germs in the house before washing. (Yes, I work in Acute emergency care around blood, etc, but somehow have never been trained to do my laundry.)

Pete Clat: For my other clothes (non-scrubs/volunteer jacket), I use a service called, "wash dry fold." They charge a certain amount per pound and wash all my clothes for me. I just drop them off in a big bag every week and pick them up a couple days later.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Wow, other forums I visited online seemed much more cautious mentioning issues of home and laundromat water temperatures not getting hot enough to kill some germs, contaminating other people's laundry, safety of workers at laundromat (who's kids help fold clothes), mrsa and c diff only can be killed with non-color safe bleach, etc. Some nurses online even mentioned storing their dirty scrubs in plastic bags in the garage so they don't bring germs in the house before washing. (Yes, I work in Acute emergency care around blood, etc, but somehow have never been trained to do my laundry.)
Hopefully your clothes aren't so thoroughly colonized that it's an issue. Soap and water are enough to carry most bacteria away.

narvik2016

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Lol I'm sorry, this made me laugh. You have seriously got to learn to do your own laundry... this is incredible.

MyNameWasUsed

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2014
Status
Other Health Professions Student
The hospital I work provides us with scrubs so I just take some home and if they're dirty I can just change at the hospital.

AlfonsTheGuru

Surgeons aren't what they used to be.
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Volunteer jacket? I have a volunteer polo.

gothicfoxes

MD & MPH goals
Jun 17, 2015
Bodymore Murdaland
Status
Just use detergent. It's enough to get rid of any fomite-transferred germ. If you don't think that's enough, give your scrubs a quick lysol before throwing it in the wash, or see if your hospital has blacklight boxes for scrubs. The labs probably will.

ElCapone

Don't Lawyer Me
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2011
Status
Medical Student
It occurred to me that it may be unethical to just drop it off at the laundromat with all of my other laundry since I don't wash my own clothes.

If you use color safe bleach, do you know if color safe bleach is as effective at killing germs as regular bleach?

If allowed on here, I could really use specific suggestions of what products to use, or what active ingredients to look for, and how to use them. PMing is fine.
10M HCl works solid imho

Reactions: gothicfoxes

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
Scrubs in their own load in the laundry (with two of us wearing scrubs it doesn't take long to get a load so why not)