How do you write your own LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering how I should write my own LOR? A doc I work with told me to write it myself and I am not sure where to start? thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

start with your relationship with the doc... then say lots of nice things about yourself. finish with a "moto_za would make a perfect physician and knows how to throw a killer party"

Hi,

I was wondering how I should write my own LOR? A doc I work with told me to write it myself and I am not sure where to start? thanks!!

wow man, writing your own LOR??? wow ...

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll soon learn, if you haven't already, that writing your own LOR is one of the most difficult things to do. I'd suggest you try getting someone who knows you well to help you with it.

You'll soon learn, if you haven't already, that writing your own LOR is one of the most difficult things to do. I'd suggest you try getting someone who knows you well to help you with it.

Exactly. That is what I did when one of my professors told me to write my own LOR.

Turn in your PS and change I/me to (s)he. :cool:

Hi,

Hilarious...

Cool, I wasn't aware this happened. Hopefully I get the opportunity to do this!

I would start mine off with...

"Brian is one of the most profound, awe-inspiring thinkers of modern history..."

Cool, I wasn't aware this happened. Hopefully I get the opportunity to do this!

I would start mine off with...

"Brian is one of the most profound, awe-inspiring thinkers of modern history..."

You might think that this is a blessing right now, but let me tell you from experience it quickly turns into a curse!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to start by searching the internet for sample LORs, just for formatting and how paragraphs are arranged by content. I expect that there is a standard format for what is said in the first / second / third paragraphs. Then, imagine that you are the MD and that you are writing about moto:

"I am writing this letter to highly recommend Motor as an applicant for medical school. I have worked with Moto at (location) for x years, where his role was xxxxxxxx. During this time, Moto has consistently (describe your job functions, describe your personality, your reliability, your enthusiasm, your reliability, etc, etc). etc etc Moto has mentioned to me that he is interested in gynecology. I can definitely see Moto as a gynecologist because of the time that we were looking for a xxxxxx and Moto found it more quickly than anyone else. In addition, Moto volunteered to single-handedly manage the xxxxx project, which is exceptional experience for a would-be gynecologist.". etc etc etc. In summary, I strongly recommend Moto as a future physician. My experience with him suggests that he will make an exceptional physician."

LOL. Anyway, this may help a bit, or not. You need to promote yourself in the third person without overdoing it and without under-doing it.

Don't do it. Adcoms can see right though this. Just find a LOR writer that knows about you and cares about you more; It'll shine in the letter if they do. :luck:

Be very careful that the writing style you use isn't similar to that of your PS. You'd be surprised how much personality comes through in the way a person writes and you'd hate the adcoms to call you out on this.

Hi,

Yeah, it totally sucks. One volunteer coordinator had me do this (and funny enough, it was a small program where she knew me well), and she also offered a few examples of other letters she (or, perhaps, "she") had written for other people, to pull some of the explanations about the program, etc. from. That was definitely helpful.

Edit: This was also only to write a draft, not something to just print and have signed. On that I agree with the other posters.

Don't do it. Adcoms can see right though this. Just find a LOR writer that knows about you and cares about you more; It'll shine in the letter if they do. :luck:

I agree completely... These letters are not just some formality where you get them because they are required. This is an opportunity to have a professor you really click with to tell their piece about you, showing a new facet of who you are.

Several of the professors I asked told me to write one for myself and they would sign it. I decided to find someone else to write the thing. This is a lame way of them saying they would rather not write a letter for you and/or you're not important enough for them to write a good letter. So unless this person is in a position that carries a lot of weight, find someone who will actually write the letter.

The two that asked me to do it would read it themselves and edit it accordingly. One of them wrote an entirely different letter based on the one I wrote, the other added stuff to it and edited it. That is what most of them do.

Several of the professors I asked told me to write one for myself and they would sign it. I decided to find someone else to write the thing. This is a lame way of them saying they would rather not write a letter for you and/or you're not important enough for them to write a good letter. So unless this person is in a position that carries a lot of weight, find someone who will actually write the letter.

yeah this is what i pretty much figured, which is why i went elsewhere when they wanted me to write it and them to sign it. in any other context, it's plagiarism, right?

Did he explicitly say he would use your draft? My Modern Physics professor told me to write what I would would write for me, then told me a week later my recommendation sucked, he re-wrote it, and thank god he recommends for the Nobel Laureate committee or I would have been SOL (though half in jest). If he's just going to sign what you wrote, then it probably won't be that good unless you have a ton of experience writing LOR's. Most profs have been doing this for quite some time, and depending on their position/status, you should have a good idea if they're good at it/will not bone you.

start with your relationship with the doc... then say lots of nice things about yourself. finish with a "moto_za would make a perfect physician and knows how to throw a killer party"

Just pretend that you are your doc and have him sign it... Enjoy...

I agree completely... These letters are not just some formality where you get them because they are required. This is an opportunity to have a professor you really click with to tell their piece about you, showing a new facet of who you are.

Outside of educational institutions, being asked to write your own recommendation letter is a common practice, usually either because 1) the writer is too busy and thinks you'll be able to target it better, or 2) it's a test to see how much you'll try to self-aggrandize. #1 is definitely more likely. I'd be mildy concerned if a professor requested I write my own letter, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point, and if the professor had name-recognition I'd definitely jump at the opportunity. It's not a bad sign if they choose to do this.

When I wrote my own letter, I followed a mostly similar format to what was already posted:

-my name is ____, my title is _____, my relationship to X is that I'm _______ and have known X for ___ amount of time
-during that time, X has done lots of things, been exceedingly scholarly, worked well with others and always brought in delicious home-made cookies, or whatever. (note: I had done much for these people that they didn't know the specifics of, so this was really an opportunity to explain my accomplishments)
-in closing, I strongly recommend X to your school and think they will make an super-awesome physician

Tips on style that were helpful to me:

-Try very hard to use the person's voice, as you've probably had a chance to notice in email/assignments/conversation. If you can't do that, get a friend with a distinct style to edit it very critically.
-Find the buzzwords a person in that position would use to recommend someone and sprinkle them in liberally.
-Don't do something obvious like using flowery words when your recommender is a concise, factual writer. Don't write more than three/four paragraphs unless you have very good reasons for doing so.
-Use good judgment about personal anecdotes; not every writer likes to use them, so it's okay to leave them out in favor of pointing out your accomplishments.
-Use strong words of recommendation; don't be wishy-washy (don't exaggerate too much, mind you, just don't dither) in your praise.

Ultimately, if the recommender doesn't like your letter, he/she'll revise it to their standards. Don't hesitate because of that. The biggest mistake you can make is have it sound like you wrote it, and to damn with faint praise because you're afraid your recommender might take it wrong.

do you people know of any websites or books I could use for writing my LOR?:cool:

do you people know of any websites or books I could use for writing my LOR?:cool:

I looked at most of them, they're fairly useless. I can give you an example if you PM me (just have one quick question).

moto, check your PM box.

EDIT: If anyone else wants the links PM me

google it...i know there are some guides and templates on how to write LOR b/c a friend of mine had to do it and she googled it and was able to do it....but she said that it is very hard.

Email your coworkers and ask them why they think you would be a good doctor. They will give you some answers that you wouldn't have come up with on your own. I got some great answers that were honest and well thought out. I used them in my letter.

Ask your good friend to write the original and then, edit it yourself?

Oh God. I tried that once, and it was a disaster.

First of all, unless your good friend is a professor who has written a thousand recommendation letters, or somebody ridiculously well versed in the English language, it's just a bad idea...

Second of all... oh wait, that was it.

What I did for mine, was thought of someone who I looked up to, and wrote a letter about him. Then I went back and edited it to see what matched up with my own personality and relevant experiences, then checked it through with my prof.

You'd be surprised at how many similarities you have between yourself and others you look up to.