pharm1234

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
63
0
Status
I would like to do some clinical research. Do I have to know someone or at least know someone that knows someone? How do I get my foot in the door? Where do I start? How do I go about this?
 

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
9,768
23
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Unless you have a background in an allied health field (respiratory, nursing, lab, etc) or a degree (which I am assuming you don't), you're pretty much screwed as far as your chances for actually being really involved in clinical research.
 

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
4,112
16
Somewhere in time and relative dimensions in space
Status
Medical Student
To add to DropkickMurphy's post, you can get a job doing clinical research, you just can't be doing invasive procedures or anything drug-related. We've got a non-invasive, physical therapy device that one of our engineers designed, made, and is now testing on human subjects. You can also do interviews with patients in the hospital and over the phone. You can also be involved with the data analysis side (Doc tries out new procedure on 20 patients, you crunch the statistics) and writing up papers. So you can participate in clinical research, but you'll be hands off without a clinical degree.
 

Zerosixjt

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2006
143
0
Status
Medical Student
Depends on where you are. If you are lucky enough to be near a university with a med school or strong biology research program you are on your way. I did 18 months of clinical research before I graduated with my BA. Most of the work was in the lab, but I was also able to assist physicians with procedures, collect medical histories, and participate in clinical meetings. Your level of clinical participation depends on your experience and your PI.

Your best bet is to contact the biology/medical department at your local school and ask if they have a list of PIs looking for workers, then send out a resume or try to set up a time to meet with them.

Good Luck!
 

Captain Fantastic

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
1,756
16
Mizzou Med
Status
My school has a big undergraduate research initiative. The PI posted a "help wanted, premeds preferred" ad on the undergrad research web site. I answered it, was interviewed, and was hired.

I meet with patients one-on-one collecting data for the study. While we were still enrolling subjects I was involved in recruitment. It's all non-invasive but I definitely "lay hands" on the participants about 8 hours a week. The PI trained us in our duties and observed us before setting us free to meet with the participants alone.

After I got to know this PI a little bit I asked him to mentor my undergraduate honors project. He agreed. It's a retrospective study so I don't meet with participants -- just abstracting the medical records and analyzing the data. It's nothing ground breaking, but has been good for me in terms of exposure and experience.

It's always easier if you know someone or have a connection through a mutual friend, but don't be afraid to contact PIs and see if they're looking for help. One of the guys on our study goes to church with the PI and wasn't afraid to ask.
 

Jocomama

Make 'em bleed!
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
292
1
Ann Arbor, MI and Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
I have 9 pre-med students working in my lab this past year, with 1 M1 for the summer and a visiting Plastic Surgeon.
There are so many doctors that would love to have a college student help them get some data collected and analyzed for clinical projects.
ANy medical school or even hospital with residents will have an option. Most may be reviewing data, etc. But it depends upon what you mean by "clinical research"
Send me a PM, and I;ll be glad to get you headed in the right direction.
pharm1234 said:
I would like to do some clinical research. Do I have to know someone or at least know someone that knows someone? How do I get my foot in the door? Where do I start? How do I go about this?
 

tivski

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
22
0
Status
Jocomama said:
I have 9 pre-med students working in my lab this past year, with 1 M1 for the summer and a visiting Plastic Surgeon.
There are so many doctors that would love to have a college student help them get some data collected and analyzed for clinical projects.
ANy medical school or even hospital with residents will have an option. Most may be reviewing data, etc. But it depends upon what you mean by "clinical research"
Send me a PM, and I;ll be glad to get you headed in the right direction.
've been facing a specific roadblock; maybe you could help me find a way around it. I've got my BA (biology) and I'm looking for clinical research work, data managment, subject recruitment, etc. I'm in NYC, where there's lots of research going on, but the jobs are all on web postings and on-line applications. I apply to a million jobs through these universities' sites but never never get one call back; I assume tons of other people flood the applications.

Since the on-line employment search has yielded an echoing void of results, do you have suggestions about how to succesfully contact a researcher who is looking for assistants and apply for a job?

thanks a bunch

tiv
 

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
4,112
16
Somewhere in time and relative dimensions in space
Status
Medical Student
tivski said:
've been facing a specific roadblock; maybe you could help me find a way around it. I've got my BA (biology) and I'm looking for clinical research work, data managment, subject recruitment, etc. I'm in NYC, where there's lots of research going on, but the jobs are all on web postings and on-line applications. I apply to a million jobs through these universities' sites but never never get one call back; I assume tons of other people flood the applications.

Since the on-line employment search has yielded an echoing void of results, do you have suggestions about how to succesfully contact a researcher who is looking for assistants and apply for a job?

thanks a bunch

tiv
Make phone calls or meet them in person. Every job I've had, it was because I met the person, talked to them, and kept up with them (via email or phone) until they gave me an interview.
 

Jocomama

Make 'em bleed!
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
292
1
Ann Arbor, MI and Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
It's what area you are interested in.
Check out NYU Medical School
Each department usually has a bit on the faculty, what they are researching - etc.
You gotta spend the time and search the NYU site - including Medical, Graduate - everything
Then when you find something cool - send an e-mail.

Key: Be SOOOOOOO brief, like, "I am interested in your work. Biology BA from XY University, CV attached"
Then follow up with a call (remember do NOT expect e-mail return right away - maybe out of town, grant deadline, etc)

Keep the e-mail real short.

PS - My best students are the ones that after e-mail, called me and bugged the piss out of me - and those are the go-getters. Out of 10 in the last 2 years, the 2 best were the ones that persisted and didn't rely on just e-mail.
Good Luck
PM me if you need more help
tivski said:
've been facing a specific roadblock; maybe you could help me find a way around it. I've got my BA (biology) and I'm looking for clinical research work, data managment, subject recruitment, etc. I'm in NYC, where there's lots of research going on, but the jobs are all on web postings and on-line applications. I apply to a million jobs through these universities' sites but never never get one call back; I assume tons of other people flood the applications.

Since the on-line employment search has yielded an echoing void of results, do you have suggestions about how to succesfully contact a researcher who is looking for assistants and apply for a job?

thanks a bunch

tiv
 

TwinkleToes

ima miss
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
29
0
40
Houston, TX
Status
Medical Student
pharm1234 said:
I would like to do some clinical research. Do I have to know someone or at least know someone that knows someone? How do I get my foot in the door? Where do I start? How do I go about this?
NIH has programs for this...both summer programs and post-bacc programs. Check out their website for Intramural Research TRaining Fellows (IRTAs). It's a great program. I joined a lab shortly after finishing my pre-med requirements, and am starting my 2nd year. there is time to work on your apps, and you learn a ton.
 

Booney44

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2005
34
0
36
Irvine, CA
Status
has anybody done the NIH post-bacc research program (IRTA)? I would really like to hear somebody's take on it, or if there are other programs like this.