How Does a School Determine State of Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title is the question. How does a school determine this exactly. i am asking because i know somebody who was from new jersey and went to a school in philadelphia everyday and got in state tuition.

he has told me he did not change his state of residency from when he moved to philly 3 years prior and had all the same documentation and address listed, even though he didnt live there anymore and now lived in jersey. So how did that philly school not find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally living in the state for 12 months prior to enrollment, showing that you didn’t move there with the purpose of attending school. However, if you own land or a home, register your vehicle, get a drivers license, register to vote, pay state income tax, and declare intent to remain in the state indefinitely is usually sufficient. This does not guarantee a dental school will consider you instate though because a lot of times they go off of what you were when you applied and if they accepted you as a non-resident they want to keep it that way.