headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
not even make it into either USN top 50?

http://www.louisville.edu/medschool/admissions/profile.htm#match1

I know, I know, the lists mean little. Still, my top interests include neurology, psychiatry, and general surgery. And U of L seems to do pretty well in all three - especially for a class of 149.

Thoughts, anyone? :cool: Is there such a thing as a "good, but still bad" matchlist?

ahumdinger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Rafa said:

I know, I know, the lists mean little. Still, my top interests include neurology, psychiatry, and general surgery. And U of L seems to do pretty well in all three - especially for a class of 149.

Thoughts, anyone? :cool: Is there such a thing as a "good, but still bad" matchlist?

I don't know much about match lists at all, so I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but I was under the impression that psychiatry was not a competitive field. Also the USNews (research) rankings take gov't funding pretty seriously. So maybe louiville doesn't get much research money?

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
Status
Those are not real competitive specialties that you are looking at, which is certainly a good thing. The specialty breakdown at each school tends to be the same at every school regardless of ranking, its where the graduates go that make certain ones better than others.

Also matchlists aren't always in line with school rank. A certain school, which will go unnamed, is regularly referred to as one of the worst med schools in the US around these parts and puts over 5 people in derm every year.

star22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2006
PacNW
Status
Pre-Medical
Rafa said:

I was under the impression that match lists (as well as board scores) have nothing to do with the rankings... they probably should, but they don't. Also, if you look at that list, there is only one person going into derm and one into optho and they are both staying at the school.... so it could be better.

doctorFred

intensive carer
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
, location, location!
Status
Attending Physician
the rankings are based on a lot of different factors.. one of them is name recognition and (i'm not entirely positive about the details, but this is roughly correct) one of the measures is a simple poll of whether or not you think XXX is a good school. so obviously, harvard is going to get points in that category where new jersey medical school is not. but if you take a look at the njms match list (which i can't seem to find at the moment,) they matched about 6 or 7 people to opthamology last year.

the rankings also take into account how much money the government pumps into the school, and some other factors that aren't entirely under the school's control. so you can have a school with great faculty who prepare their students well and have everyone match into highly competitive residencies, and still not be 'ranked' in the top 50.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Rafa said:

Two responses:
(1) Rankings are driven by research $. It is the single biggest component in determining the US News rank. That often doesn't filter down to tangible effects on the med students' life, and thus whether they score well on the boards or do well in clinical years (the two biggest driving forces in getting a good residency) are dependant on other factors.

(2) It is near impossible for someone not in the profession to determine what is or isn't a good match list. Even within the competitive specialties there are better and worse places, and the places that are good in various specialties don't closely track the US News ranking system. Most med students rely heavilly on their advisors, mentors and connections to let them know what places are good in what fields when applying. As such those lists are almost useles to someone applying to med school.

And yes, as someone else has mentioned, some of your desired fields (which likely will change a few times as you get further along) are not that competitive, and you can match into them from anywhere if you do well.