How Does AMCAS Convert Canadian Grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did undergrad in Ontario. Does anyone know if there is a chart that will show the grade conversions that AMCAS uses? For instance, I know that here an A is a 3.9/4.0 whereas an A+ is a 4.0/4.0 but some schools out west and even other schools in ontario will say that an A and A+ are both a 4.0.

I would just like to know so that I can calculate my average out. I made up a mock account on AMCAS thinking it will tell me the average once I input my courses but it doesn't seem to do that.

Also, I have read on some threads that depending on the institution you attend, some schools are considered more 'difficult' than others... so does that mean that grade conversions vary for the schools?

Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you get 1.10 point for every American point, but you may have to pay an exchange fee...

Also be aware that on this side of the border, we sell gas by the gallon and not the litre.

OK...so I found the conversion Chart on the AMCAS website. I have a couple of questions though.

My school uses 2 semesters (Fall and Winter).
So If I took Biology and got an A:
the AMCAS weight = 4.0
what would my semester hours be??

If any Canadians have gone through this and know how to do it please advise and THANK YOU!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you get 1.10 point for every American point, but you may have to pay an exchange fee...

Also be aware that on this side of the border, we sell gas by the gallon and not the litre.

thanks for the info.

BTW, I am a US citizen. Well I'm half american and half canadian and did my undergrad here because it was cheaper for me.

thanks for the info.

BTW, I am a US citizen. Well I'm half american and half canadian and did my undergrad here because it was cheaper for me.

OK I'm pretty sure they were kidding about the 1.10 points thing. Thats roughly the exchange rate. AMCAS will award 4.0 for an A. Nothing more for an A+. A- is 3.7, B+ 3.3, B 3.0...etc etc etc.

Would be better if you went to school in europe. The grade exchange rate is like 1.5. 2 in britain!