How does AMCAS know WHICH GPA conversion scale to use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinemaya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school delivers grades like: A, B+, B, C+, C... (no minuses). AMCAS has several Grade Conversion Charts and it looks like a B+ will be a 3.5 (like my school counts it). How does AMCAS know that this is my grading scale? Do I need to tell them anywhere in the app?

Members don't see this ad.

The back of your official transcript says what scale your school uses. AMCAS will look at this to determine how to convert your letter grades into points.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The file you just presented clearly shows that a school with half-step grades gets a 3.5 for a B+. My question was how does AMCAS know that my school uses this conversion system?

DAPI has it. Every official transcript has their grading scale and weights on the back. 3rd poster is wrong, if your school does 3.5 AMCAS will count it as 3.5, not 3.3.

The file you just presented clearly shows that a school with half-step grades gets a 3.5 for a B+. My question was how does AMCAS know that my school uses this conversion system?

If you get an official transcript for yourself, all shall become clear.