how does being on executive council for fraternity/sorority look to adcoms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedprepa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
any negative effect? what about if president of the chapter and had to run a $100,00/yr budget and deal with kids and parents?

Members don't see this ad.

If it is 100.00 dollar per year budget, I doubt it will impress anyone, if you add couple zeros, that will be a different story

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
any negative effect? what about if president of the chapter and had to run a $100,00/yr budget and deal with kids and parents?
It depends on the role you took on. If you just show up to run meetings as a figurehead, I see little benefit to your application. If you have a position of trust and responsibility, and have to trouble shoot and use your "people skills," that's better. If you come up with new initiatives, form committees and delegate tasks, maintain oversight, and end up making lasting change as a demonstration of peer leadership, that could be more of a benefit to your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Bonus points if you committed all $100 to purchase White Claw in bulk

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
It is "leadership" and requires teamwork. It could be a net positive as long as your house stays out of trouble. If there is a whiff of trouble, don't put it on your application (you aren't required to put every activity on your application.)

Reactions: 1 users
I suspect that adcoms are not a monolithic entity. If you were to ask them individually about opinions on fraternities and their members, I suspect that some would say they like fraternities and those associated with them, some would say they don't, and some would be agnostic. In my opinion, the key is to emphasize what you accomplished, what you learned, and the positive qualities you demonstrated, rather than touting the organization you worked for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users