How does Buffalo notify? (post-interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y

yyd

-

Members don't see this ad.

My status page was updated first. Received a letter two days later. They seem to put a lot of people on hold, but then again, their hold list moves quite faster, compared to that of other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
yyd said:
How long after the interview was your status page updated?
It would be nice to hear from them before the New Year. Assuming the news is good, of course :)

I was put on hold on October 15th, the first day they can officially notify of acceptances, about 45 days after my interview. Got accepted on Dec. 5.

Don't be surprised if it takes 6-8 weeks to hear back from them.

Hi! If you take a look at their "admissions policy" page, it says that they hand out the first batch of decisions in the middle of october, and then again every 8 weeks after that. Sooo I interviewed on November 9 and got the acceptance on December 5. My status page was updated... I checked it totally on a whim and it said Accepted/Lettered (!!!). I don't know what twist of fate put me in the acceptance pile, because I'm a pretty mediocre applicant, but yeah, they do waitlist about 50% of the people they interview. I think something like 30% are rejected and 20% are accepted right away. Good luck! Just keep checking :)

Pepper1o1 said:
Hi! If you take a look at their "admissions policy" page, it says that they hand out the first batch of decisions in the middle of october, and then again every 8 weeks after that. Sooo I interviewed on November 9 and got the acceptance on December 5. My status page was updated... I checked it totally on a whim and it said Accepted/Lettered (!!!). I don't know what twist of fate put me in the acceptance pile, because I'm a pretty mediocre applicant, but yeah, they do waitlist about 50% of the people they interview. I think something like 30% are rejected and 20% are accepted right away. Good luck! Just keep checking :)

We both interviewed and were accepted on the same days! Congrats! To anyone sitting on the waitlist...dont worry so much, buffalo's list tends to move quite a bit.

themitz said:
We both interviewed and were accepted on the same days! Congrats! To anyone sitting on the waitlist...dont worry so much, buffalo's list tends to move quite a bit.

Hey! Congrats to you too :) Which one were you? Are you thinking of going there?

I was also placed on the hold list on Oct. 15th, and I asked the admissions office and was told to wait until Jan., because that is when the waitlist is ranked. Anyhow, I just happened to look on Dec. 5th and it said I was accepted. I was extremely glad to find out I was in. I think, my current ranking is state school, rush and buffalo. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
roca88 said:
Hi all,

I interviewed late november and got the 'on hold' waitlist letter early december (sad cause i was REALLY impressed by this school, surprisingly)...in the letter it said that the waitlist is "ranked" and that usually people don't hear before march with regards to that. But according to what I'm seeing here, many of you got from waitlist to acceptance within a couple months (although you did obviously interview earlier). My questions are as follows:

1) Is it appropriate/possible to call or ask them how I "rank" on this waitlist? I've read other posts about other schools, and some give you an actual number, like "47", meaning that you need to move up that many spots to get the acceptance. Is this what Buffalo does and should I inquire, or leave them alone?

2) Are there any other ways to show interest or get ahead in this rank?

Thanks in advance for any advice/answers to my questions!

Mr. Rosso said that the waitlist will officially be ranked in January, so you can call then to find out what 'third' you are in. I don't think they give out your exact number, just whether you are in the upper third/middle third/lower third. From what I've heard, they accepted students through the middle third last year.

If Buffalo is your first choice (it seems like it), then it can only help to write a letter of intent. I'd address it to Dean Severin or Mr. Rosso.

I just checked my status page (interviewed two weeks ago) and it says I got waitlisted.

They said up to 6 weeks when I interviewed that you'd find your status. But it probably depends on the time of the month. I found out I was accepted 2 days after the interview, but it was probably the timing of when the interview was and when they review files
Good luck!

I interviewed at Buffalo less than a week ago and was notified by mail today that I am on the hold list. I'm planning on calling tomorrow to determine which third I am in. I'm also pretty disappointed I wasn't accepted outright.

Ashabee4, it seems like Buffalo puts everyone on hold initially. I interviewed there in August (yes August!) and they still kept me waiting for 4 months (on hold) before they accepted me (my stats are above their avg. and my interviews went well).

But Mr. Rosso is pretty helpful with sharing info. so give him a call and hopefully you will be in the top 2/3rd.