How does class rank limit match opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCD.O.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had significant upward trends in my coursework over first year and just received my class rank: about 55% mark. Obviously I will try to improve this as much as possible, but how significantly will this limit residency options down the road if it stays about the same amount. Are there any thresholds that that are necessary to pass for a significant bump in application status i.e. 40%, 50%, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I was toward the bottom on my class and never heard a thing about it. I have no idea if it was a factor in the programs that didn't give me interviews...but it really didn't seem to matter at all at the places I did get interviews. Granted, our school doesn't put our class rank in our deans letter unless you are top whatever percent so maybe they just assumed I was higher up than I was? Either way....it didn't seem to matter at all.

55 percentile in 1st year? Worry about something more important.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is not the most important factor, but there was a correlation between those with a high class rank and doing better on boards. Not necessarily because you did well in school, but you knew how to study and had the motivation to do well. (Obviuosly there were people who did well on boards and had average grades and rank).

Also, a residency may look at you and think B/C in all your classes, then 90%ile boards...are you just lazy but smart? Will you be lazy in residency?

But I'd agree with the above...top half, keep up the good work.

I've had significant upward trends in my coursework over first year and just received my class rank: about 55% mark. Obviously I will try to improve this as much as possible, but how significantly will this limit residency options down the road if it stays about the same amount. Are there any thresholds that that are necessary to pass for a significant bump in application status i.e. 40%, 50%, etc.

Rank tends to only matter at the top or bottom quartiles if that. This is barring any indirect effects associated with rank (grasp of material, board score potential, work ethic, etc.). If you feel confident about your grasp of the material I really wouldn't worry about it.