How does Des Moines rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predoc0843

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

I have been reading the different stats for the schools. Des Moines had low scores compared to other osteopathic schools as USNews lists.

Is its reputation not up to "par" or are the stats even correct? I haven't really heard much discussion about this school on these forums.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know where you got the figures you are talking about. In fact, USNEWS doesn't even have a ranking or a discussion about the school other than bare facts.

Make that damn Balloon go away!

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

I was referring to the bare facts. USNEWS lists MCAT scores broken down by sections. I noticed these scores were low:
ie. VR--7.9
PS--7.6
BS--Can't remember but low also.

I was just wondering why these scores were low. They also listed only around 1300 applying, also low. Granted they don't rank this school, but that wasn't my question either. I was just wondering about the scores and the perception of the school itself.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll see that DO schools (NOT ALL) tend to hover around that same number as far as admissions standards. I feel what sets a school apart is board scores and rotation placement. Aside from that, you just have to check the school out itself and see if you like what they offer.

I can't really tell you why the school is underrepresented. All I can tell you is that when I went there, I liked it. It had Harvey, SPAL training, dog lab, etc... The other three schools I got into didn't have all of those things. I also talked to at least twenty students to get a serious opinion on the pros and cons of the school.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Don't know where that information comes from, but stats given by the school list avg of >8 on all subsections of the MCAT, >3.40 avg. GPA and ~3000 applications for ~200 seats. That information was also recently published in the Des Moines Register.