How does DO student get funding for conference and publication cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicken Bone

Reaction score
I heard many MD schools will reimburse their student for the conference and publication-related cost but at least my school is not willing to pay me a single penny. How do you guys pay for these activities? I have collaboration with the lab I worked in before med school, they are broke now although I am still pumping papers with them using old data but the boss won't pay anything. Also have an independent project that got accepted for a national conference presentation, how can I get travel money? I asked my school they said because none of these were done under the supervision of a faculty member so they won't pay despite I put my current school in the affiliation (I was very frustrated because I was told earlier by a research department guy that as long as I am first-author of something cost can get reimbursed from school, that's why I submitted an abstract to the conference).

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head, see if SOMA or the AOA has any student travel funds. Some professional societies also some of these awards. Also hit up the conference organizers for advice (NOT money!)

Apply for organization grants or other med student grants from national organizations. The conference that your publication got accepted to might have grants for attendance. Also, just so it's clear, your publications should not cost money. If papers are charging you a bunch of money to publish its a scam done by non-reputable publications scamming gullible researchers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply for organization grants or other med student grants from national organizations. The conference that your publication got accepted to might have grants for attendance. Also, just so it's clear, your publications should not cost money. If papers are charging you a bunch of money to publish its a scam done by non-reputable publications scamming gullible researchers.
there are two I am targeting now are top journals in the field one charges ACP by page one charges a flat rate. Both are very reputable. Honestly, I am more than willing to pay by myself if they would accept my manuscript lol. What really the concern is these conferences. The one I will go later this year only has a discount for the med students but no travel grant available. I can cover out of my pocket once or twice, but in a long run, it is not going to work. I see many societies have a very specific topic for a certain grant and many are competitive for which I don't see I can get, do you know if there is any generic funding opportunity for DO students?

I was told earlier by a research department guy that as long as I am first-author of something cost can get reimbursed from school, that's why I submitted an abstract to the conference).
I would escalate this. I could see this as being a "procedural" issue that can be overrided by a research council vote or dean involvment.

Are you already taking out the max Grad Plus loans? Got a family member with air miles they’re willing to spot you?

I just ask because my school hasn’t given me funding for anything I’ve attended. I wouldn’t expect it and I would try coming up with the money some other way if possible.