How does ESIR and Integrated IR residency(out of medical school) affect IR Independent residencies(fellowships?) for the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GunnerBMS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that 1 year fellowships for IR are gone, there is now the 2 year independent IR residency that DR residents can do after completing DR residency.

Will ESIR and the Integrated track reduce the number of programs offering positions for 2 yr IR independent residency?

I'm a DR resident and my program doesn't have ESIR. I want to do IR, but I feel like I'm gonna get squeezed out and not be able to match since essentially the ESIR applicants pretty much got IR spots locked up, and then the integrated guys are already getting trained to do IR, so why would programs offer as many IR positions as they traditionally have. Also, does anyone know how radiology fellowship directors choose applicants to interview for fellowship? All they have is pretty much step scores and then radiology letters of rec, since the CORE exam is taken after interviews are all done.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive been seeing stories online of people applying to the 2 year pathway not matching.