How does health insurance work in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarcoRamius

Marco Ramius
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering, for those of you in dental school--how expensive is health insurance? More specifically, for a family? Who do you get it through? When do you have to apply for it? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Health insurance is $550 a semester here at Nova. That is just for me, i don't know what their family plans are like, just thought this might give you a ballpark figure. The provider is Aetna and i have found their coverage to be excelent.

Insurance warrants investigation, make sure that you are covered the way you think you are. I too am at Nova and had the Aetna plan last year. I got screwed. $12k out of pocket. I have been much happier with the insurance offered through ASDA. It costs less too, I think I paid just over $700 for an entire year.

As far as coverage for a family goes, I know many students with families get insured through a spouses employer, or if the spouse isn't working they often qualify for government insurance for the children.