Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How does it work?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by rhillstr, Oct 28, 1999.

1. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member

Hello,
    It may be early to be asking this but what are the options for residency matching? I was told for example that there are 6 funded otolaryngology spots (AOA) but you could get a non-funded spot through other means. Could someone enlighten me? What if one did not get one of their three matches? Thanks for your patience.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OMD 2

OMD 2 Member

There are two excellent books I can recommend. PLUS, I strongly recommend you read more than just those two AND; don't take any rules they purport as the gospel. Everyone makes mistakes and only you are responsible for you own future...therefore, call the appropriate agencies and confirm what you read.

1) Kenneth Iserson's "Getting Into A Residency"

2) Jeremy Weiss' "The Dfinitive Guide for DOs Seeking MD Residencies"

[Yes, I know that 'MD Residency' is not the proper term; but it is the common jargon for an ACGME sponsored program]

------------------
    Old Man Dave
    KCOM, Class of 2003

4. yogi

yogi Member

OMD,

How do I get hold of the Jeremy Weiss book? Does he have a website?

Thanks!

5. Jim Henderson

6. yogi

yogi Member

Dr. Henderson,

Reviews of the book seemed to be so mixed at Amazon. Is the book worth the money? Is it going to do more than tell me to take the USMLE and do research? Will it tell me where to do my clinical rotations and which schools are DO friendly?

Thanks.

7. Jim Henderson

I have not read it yet. You're right, the reviews indicate either love or hate for the book... maybe someone who has read it can answer this.

I think those reviews take an emotional approach to the subject, as do posters on this message board sometimes.

------------------
    Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net http://www.medicalstudent.net

[This message has been edited by medicalstudent.net (edited 11-01-1999).]

8. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member

Attending Physician
    There is not anything in the Weiss book that is not covered more thoroughly in Iserson's book. Too, the Weiss book is riddled with errors, eg incorrect states requiring an AOA internship. It is not worth borrowing, let alone buying.