How does marking married on fafsa affect the award, I'm about to get married

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get married and I'm wondering if I should mark on my application that I am married or not. Will marking that I'm married allow me to gain a larger amount of aid or will it only hurt me. At this point I can either send the app now that I'm not married and mark single or wait a short time and send it in after i'm married and mark married.

thanks for your help!

tex

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to get married and I'm wondering if I should mark on my application that I am married or not. Will marking that I'm married allow me to gain a larger amount of aid or will it only hurt me. At this point I can either send the app now that I'm not married and mark single or wait a short time and send it in after i'm married and mark married.

thanks for your help!

tex

Go to the $$$Official 2007 Financial Aid - FASFA thread in this section. Posts #19 and 21 are thoughts related to your question. Good luck.

Well, you have to mark what's true for you at the time of submission, so I guess it depends on how soon your upcoming marriage is. It can hurt you if your spouse makes a decent salary or has a significant amount of money in savings. If your spouse is a student, it could conceivably help you because it will raise the number of students in your household. If your spouse makes very little money yet is not a student, it's probably neutral.