Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How does McGill weigh MCAT scores?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kk, Nov 4, 2001.

1. kk

kk Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi! Does anyone know whether McGill looks at the most recent set MCAT scores or the best set of MCAT scores? I know that McGill requests MCAT scores from all testings, but I still wonder how they weigh the scores. I emailed them but they never replied.

I am asking because my Aug 2000 score is 30+. However, my Aug 2001 score is 29Q, and McGill requires a minimum of 30.

My cGPA is competitive (3.90), as is the rest of my application. The only thing that worries me is MCAT. I think that being a Canadian school, McGill at least doesn't weigh MCAT as heavily as schools in the States (phew!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    unless you are a resident of Quebec, it will be quite difficult to gain admission.
    McGill accepts only 5 non-quebec Canadians.

4. Osler Penfield

7+ Year Member

Hi KK,
    I can answer your question as I am a McGill student. Here is the low-down: McGill requires that you report all MCAT scores, however, McGill is NOT strict with their cut-off points. That is, I have known a few people with MCATs at 29. McGill does not automatically put your application in the rejection pile just b/c u don't meet one of the cut-off points. They look at the whole application.

Ok, this is how McGill screens your application: If your GPA is over 3.5 and MCAT 30 + (or if you are borederline on both of these), they then look at your letters of rec and your autobio. Each one of those 4 parts is given a score on 5 (therefore, equal weight to all those sections - BUT NOTE: they say they give equal weight to all of that but none of us believe it - we believe there is much more emphasis on GPA than MCAT). Based on that cumulative score, they offer interviews. NOw, very few people receive interviews. Last year, everyone who got in was either put on the waitlist or accepted (i.e. 50% accepted, 50% waitlisted).
    I don't want to discourage you, but it is very hard for non-Quebec Canadians to be accepted (only ~5-7 spots)whereas 25% of the class are American students. If you r a non-Quebec Canadian you have to have an extremely strong application.

Ok...sorry...I know this all sounds confusing and that is because McGill says they do one thing but no one believes it...that is, they have this selections policy but no one believes they follow it b/c in talking to other students who got accepted and those who didn't, things don't seem to match up with their selections criteria.

So don't stress it...give them your best possible application and then see what happens.
    Good luck.

5. urasia

urasia Member
    7+ Year Member

hey, osler, why does mcgill accept more amercians than non-quebec canadians? and for amercians who attend mcgill, do they end up practicing in canada?

6. Osler Penfield

7+ Year Member

Hi Urasia,
    There are 2 reaons why more many many more Americans are accepted to McGill than non-Quebec Canadians
    Every medical school in Canada has a preference for the residents of their province (except Univ of Toronto and maybe 1 or 2 more). The reason being that each province subsidizes the medical education of its residents. McGill fills 25% of their class as Americans since McGill is actually an international school (log on to their website at www.mcgill.ca and you will see at the bottom of the screen the definition of McGill as an international school rather than solely Canadian). McGill has an international reputation to keep up with so it loves to train top American physicians. Yes, most of the Americans studying at McGill do their residencies in US (and are ofetn very successful at geeting their 1st choice). McGill has an incredible reputation to uphold in the US and so it trains American students. Also if you are a Canadian studying at McGill, it is very easy to do your residency in the US too.

sh.h likes this.
  7. kk

kk Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Osler Penfield,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I will give them my best possible application and keep my fingers crossed.

8. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I also had the feeling that McGill weighs GPA more than MCAT when I applied two years ago.

As for why McGill accepts that many Americans, I don't think that it is because they want to be a truly international school. I think that they simply need the $$$$ and internationals pay more tuition. I don't believe that anyone can argue otherwise (just ask any Canadians knowledgable of higher education there)

As for 25% being internationals, is that an over-statement? I am not sure how big the class is but there should around 30 internationals (Americans + others) per class.

McGill is also unique that it has an 1 1/2 year basic science curriculum. It is really an excellent school for Americans and more of them should have applied there. However, the facilities are definitely lacking up there. But you get what you pay for.... In terms of clinical experience and reputation, they should both be quite good.