How does my uGPA affect my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to ask around and see what people think of my uGPA trend.

These are not cumulative.

Frosh: 3.38, sGPA: 3.47 (1st sem: 3.16, 2nd: 3.58)
Soph: 3.71, sGPA: 3.66
Jr: 3.325, sGPA:3.33 (1st sem:3.075, 2nd: 3.58)
Sr: 3.67, sGPA 3.85

Cumulative: uGPA 3.51, sGPA 3.53

At the end of sophomore year, I had a cycling crash that left in the hospital for 5 days. I decided to keep the course schedule I had decided for the fall, and ended up doing pretty poorly as I was constantly driving home for physicians visits, follow up surgeries, etc.

I couldn't afford to lose my scholarships or insurance, so I had to stay in school.

The two bad grades that brought me down the first semester jr year were a C+ in vectors and matrices and a B- in biochem, both grades fell a letter due to poor performance in the final (lots of travel/appointments before). It is what it is, so that's not an excuse but a statement of fact. So it goes.

My last 3 semesters, I had a cGPA of 3.64 and an sGPA of 3.85 so that shows that it was just that one semester where I had a tough time.

As I get the rest of my application in order, I'm curious how adcomms might see the GPA trend and how that will reflect on my application.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The Blip isn't that noticeable IMO. However, I would suggest mentioning in secondaries about your crash and insurance issues as that is a very valid reason for a dip in grades. Secondaries usually have a section to "tell us anything else you'd like us to know."

The Blip isn't that noticeable IMO. However, I would suggest mentioning in secondaries about your crash and insurance issues as that is a very valid reason for a dip in grades. Secondaries usually have a section to "tell us anything else you'd like us to know."

Haha yeah. I'm pretty certain that my parents insurance required me to be a full time student. Not being in school from April (when i crashed) till jan would have kicked me off.

Breaking your face is expensive! I didn't know that secondaries have that section. That's reassuring. Thanks.

Do you want to know the best part?
I was supposed to race that day but didn't because my mom was hounding me to stay away from racing till finals were over. I crashed on a training ride...

That and I missed a chance to intern at the UN for that following summer. It was quite the 'expensive' crash indeed. Monetarily and from an opportunity cost perspective. I started racing again that fall though. My parents weren't so happy about that hahaha.

Last edited:
Haha yeah. I'm pretty certain that my parents insurance required me to be a full time student. Not being in school from April (when i crashed) till jan would have kicked me off.

Breaking your face is expensive! I didn't know that secondaries have that section. That's reassuring. Thanks.

Do you want to know the best part?
I was supposed to race that day but didn't because my mom was hounding me to stay away from racing till finals were over. I crashed on a training ride...

That and I missed a chance to intern at the UN for that following summer. It was quite the 'expensive' crash indeed. Monetarily and from an opportunity cost perspective. I started racing again that fall though. My parents weren't so happy about that hahaha.

I would also note that the expository parts of the AMCAS primary app are changing and may or may not include such a "Anything else?" section. I'm not entirely sure, but you should look into it. Most secondaries will include some opportunity to explain something like a GPA aberration that was caused by an external influence. Take advantage of it, explain why you had difficulty and highlight for them again how you performed in follow-on semesters, taking more difficult courses, when you weren't impacted by a smashed face :)