How does norepinephrine decrease renal blood flow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question in title. Can't seem to figure it out, anyone have any idea? I looked at this article but I'm not sure it really explained anything, but maybe someone else will catch something that I missed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC137371/

Members don't see this ad.

Its just saying the activation of alpha 1 receptors in the vascular beds of the kidneys by vasopressors could potentially overwhelm the effects of increased systemic blood pressure by leading to a greater resistance of blood flow to the kidneys. The article mentioned some evidence of this exits in hypovolemic and hypertensive patients but found that in patients with systemic vasodilation like septic shock this is not the case.

Its just saying the activation of alpha 1 receptors in the vascular beds of the kidneys by vasopressors could potentially overwhelm the effects of increased systemic blood pressure by leading to a greater resistance of blood flow to the kidneys. The article mentioned some evidence of this exits in hypovolemic and hypertensive patients but found that in patients with systemic vasodilation like septic shock this is not the case.

Awesome, thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
people think that blood pressure main regulator is the heart, no, peripheral vessels and their smooth muscle are the ones who regulate the blood flow through distant areas given that the pressure is high enough in the first place. Tissues are built with different receptors, noreepinephrin will cause vasoconstriction in a number of organs and vasodilation in a few (heart, brain, adrenal, lungs, maybe muscles). Even if you have blood pressure high because the heart pumps more, the arterioles in the kidney will constrict and restrict bloodflow with the action of noroadrenalin.

Reactions: 1 user