How does one go above and beyond in the application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering what one has to do to go above and beyond as an applicant. Meaning, what sort of EC's/ personal accomplishments do people have/ or they they could have to be considered stellar applicants? What are some examples of EC's that go above and beyond (and please, no "just do whatever you want, because that's not working.")

I need all the help I can get, because, as a J.D. who is changing careers, I need to prove to adcoms that I am passionate about my new career.

Thanks,

Tofurkey

Members don't see this ad.

as a J.D. who is changing careers, I need to prove to adcoms that I am passionate about my new career.

I think you said it right there. I don't think you have to go above and beyond, but I DO think you need to show your commitment to medicine that this is what you want to do with the rest of your life (no more career moves). I am sure you are involved in volunteering and research. Continue doing them and be more proactive (taking a leadership position and publications).

Thanks for the advice, but how does one take on a leadership position in your volunteering? I am confused as to exactly how that might happen.

Can anyone give me examples of how you've taken on a leadership position in volunteering?

Thanks!

Tofurkey

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe you can start a non profit organization that does something for the community you live in. what its focus and emphasis would be is entirely dependent on you.

Originally posted by Tofurkey
Thanks for the advice, but how does one take on a leadership position in your volunteering? I am confused as to exactly how that might happen.

This is much easier for those of us coming straight out of undergrad, because there are all sorts of student volunteer programs that need leadership.

Still, whatever you do as a volunteer, there should be ways for you to become more involved and show some leadership potential. Perhaps you could organize a fundraiser, recruit or train new volunteers, organize a medical supplies drive... Really the possibilities are endless. What you need to do is either identify a leadership position that you could step in to fill, or identify a need and implement a plan to meet that need.

start a non-profit organization? That is waaaay too much work just for the sake of padding your application. Also, after you got this non-profit up and running and got a bunch of people involved it would be pretty crappy to just abandon it all for medical school.

Just go volunteer doing something semi fun. We don't fool anyone and especially not the adcoms. Everyone knows that volunteering is something that is required to get admitted and nothing more.

I'd recommend volunteering at a hospital, convalescent center, get a couple of jobs, and do some premed programs.:thumbup:

Originally posted by Tofurkey

Can anyone give me examples of how you've taken on a leadership position in volunteering?

Thanks!

Tofurkey

I volunteered at a hospital for around 6 months before I became involved in a leadership position. After I "proved" myself, I became a department coordinator and became responsible for training, scheduling, and basically "running" an entire floor of volunteers. Through that, I won a couple of awards and stuff. I think the leadership was very valuable to the inner working of an organization.

If there is no organized leadership for the volunteering at your hospital, suggest becoming a student liason for recruiting and training new volunteers. That would be cool, but more easy for a long-term volunteer to pull off.

Good luck, man. It took you a while, but you found your true calling!! Wonderful, isn't it? :love:

I didnt really have much that was truly stellar on my app. Average numbers and just did average EC's. Some of my EC's were summer research, oncology camp counselor. I was not a leader in any of them. However, from those experiences I learned a lot about what a doctor is and why I want to be a doctor.

EC's are about going through the motions and adding a line to your application. You need to take a step back and analyze your experience so you can convey (in your PS) why you did what you did and how it is relevant to becoming a doctor. All you need are around 3 great experiences. As a career changer, I'm sure you have a very compelling reason for wanting to change, so that's one.

So, suggestions for EC's: volunteer at the hospital...generic...the ususal;
work in a research lab;
volunteer with a non-profit organization where you will be able to work directly with and help others;