how does one take a passport sized pic from a digital camera?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimastani

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of you mentioned this, so I thought it'd be kinda cool rather than spending some 30 bucks. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I just took several photos of myself, found one where my head looked right in a 2"x2" area, and cut it to a 2"x2" piece with a paper cutter.

Not very high-tech, but it worked!

Good luck

I just took a picture of myself with a white backround, and then cropped the picture and scaled it to the size that I wanted....and then I put 8 of the pics on one page, and printed it out onto photo paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a picture of yourself. Open PhotoShop or whatever your preferred picture editing tool is. Cut out your head. Resize the image to 2x2". You can also airbrush the image and adjust brightness/contrast, etc...

Thanks guys for all the tips.

CyberTammy said:
You can take the picture on floppy, cd and maybe even digital media (not so sure about this one) to Eckerd's and they can crop it and print 2x2 pics for 29 cents for two. This is really cheap and it looks super professional.
or Wal-Mart or Walgreens or whatever else is near you

I took many head shots with digital camera then went to wal-mart. I used their little computer thingie and picked one out in wallet size and made several copies. Then I cut it down to the appropriate size with a paper cutter.

Marry a guy who knows how to do this kind of stuff (worked for me).

Think it is good to look professional in photo, so wear a nice shirt or you can really deck out.

The most important rule of portraits: Use the "longest lens" possible - Zoom in as far as you can (get as far back from the subject as possible and zoom in until they are the right size in the frame. If you are close to the subject, their nose will appear bigger, with an overall slight facial distortion. Max zoom helps to minimize this - give it a try, one photo close and one far (subject same size in both), and you'll see a difference.

Would wear a neutral colored shirt, like blue or gray, because white shirts will become a rapid photo-nightmare - the print will not be able to hold the detail if it is remotely overexposed and will then "Blow Out" - as in, be blazing white. If you do use white and know how to use Photoshop, underexpose and then adjust the levels to brighten it up. Black is also tough as it will become a black uni-mass, but this is less offensive than blazing white.

Also, if possible, choose a light-midtone background as opposed to white, which tends to "bleed" into your head if it overexposes. You can minimize this by moving the white background further away from the back of your head.

For lighting, if you are inside, you may need to use the flash so it doesn't blur. If you have a tripod and enough light, you can try to use a fully windowlit portrait or outside photo with chosen background (NO DIRECT SUNLIGHT anywhere in the frame), which provides flattering light (Turn more towards the window/light source so the light hits your face more from the front). Only dare to try to cut out your head with Photoshop if you ROCK with the program and even then, it can look strange to the eye.

Printing locally seems like a good idea if you don't have a photo printer.

danimastani said:
Some of you mentioned this, so I thought it'd be kinda cool rather than spending some 30 bucks. Any tips?

Really simple for the cheap guy (me) trying to make it as professional as possible without looking like a doushbag:

get white bedsheets and hang it straight with some some thumbtacks (sic.) to a door near a window. Get one of those aluminum foil looking reflectors that you put on the windsheild of your car and have someone hold it on the opposite side of the window so the reflected sunlight hits the part of your face on the opposite side of the window (this is to prevent your face being half dark a la the "Godfather I/II" movie covers). Wear clean clothes, brush your hair, and a eating some breathmint wouldn't hurt. Take pic and your done. If your printer is above atleast 1000x1000 dpi, then screw Walmart and print it yourself on some nice 50cent glossypaper.

oh, for those of you who have ANY version of Adobe photoshop, do this to fix up color very quickly: open your picture up and go "Format"-->"Levels"--->"Autolevels"

neoncandle said:
I took many head shots with digital camera then went to wal-mart. I used their little computer thingie and picked one out in wallet size and made several copies. Then I cut it down to the appropriate size with a paper cutter.

I also did this--and if all wal-marts are anything like the one I went to back home, it was only about 34 cents for a sheet of 6 passport-size photos!!!

Hey,

If I have a digital picture on my comp and want to take it to the kodak thingy at walgreens to print it out, how do I get it from my comp to the machine? CD-RW? Any thoughts?

deuist said:
Take a picture of yourself. Open PhotoShop or whatever your preferred picture editing tool is. Cut out your head. Resize the image to 2x2". You can also airbrush the image and adjust brightness/contrast, etc...

I wouldn't airbrush the image unless something went horribly wrong with the photo and it was so bad that it broke the camera immediately after the picture and you couldn't take another one. The worst thing would to show up to the interview and look at lot worse than your airbrushed photo. It's probably better to send in a decent natural photo and then show up to the interview all decked out and hot..... well not too hot.