How does publishing in an undergraduate research journal compare to peer-reviewed journals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemedicine416

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been involved in a lab for about 2-3 years and have multiple independent projects and posters presentations. However, I haven't been able to publish anything.
My school has an undergraduate journal that I can apply to publish my independent project but it would require more work. Just wondering the value of publishing in an undergraduate journal compare to peer review journals and would it be worth it/beneficial?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Better than nothing, but not even close to a peer-reviewed journal.

Reactions: 5 users
Undergraduate research journals don't mean much because they aren't peer-reviewed and the impact is usually very low. Some might not even be particularly original work. See if you can present your work as a poster at a national meeting. That lends you some credence. The best case, of course, is to publish in a peer-reviewed journal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say about the same as having a poster. There's no review, so it just shows the same thing - you did something.

Just for sake of clarity, some undergraduate research journals are peer reviewed. TriBeta's (a biology honor society) comes to mind, and I'm sure there's others. They may or may not be pub med indexed though.

Just for sake of clarity, some undergraduate research journals are peer reviewed. TriBeta's (a biology honor society) comes to mind, and I'm sure there's others. They may or may not be pub med indexed though.
When you say peer reviewed, do you mean other undergrad students read it?

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds like a pretty legit way to put your project on your app!