How does QBank work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm starting second-year soon and I keep hearing raving reviews about Kaplan's QBank. Is this the question bank that you subscribe to on the internet? Is this the only place where these questions can be found, or are they available in book form also? Thanks for the information!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the answer to your question, but the Qbank sounds like a good resource. Just don't get sidetracked on SDN while you're supposed to be doing passages. :)

I believe there's QBank and QBook. QBook is a book obviously, and QBank is an internet service. Regarding QBank, you can subscribe to either one month or three months, so you'll want to wait till boards are closer. QBank has 3500 questions (I think), and they keep track of your scores and your strengths/weaknesses in each subject area as you take more tests. The max # of questions you can take at one time is 50, and you can choose what subject area you want to be tested on (all areas or specific areas). I think it's a pretty neat deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding QBank, it's actually 2,000 questions for one month; I'm not sure how many for 3. Like the previous poster said, it's broken down by subject and also by organ system. The question are VERY similar to the ones on the USMLE.

Sounds good. Do most people use the online version or the book version? If you used the online version, did you study at home most of the time? I'm not so sure that I'm quite productive at home--there are many distractions! Anyway, I am wondering what happens when you take a Kaplan live or home-study course. Do you get QBook or QBank or both? Does anyone think any course is worth the money (home study or live (I am not a lecture person))? I have read lots of posts that say if you've went through First-Aid three times, BRS Path a few times, and have done every question in QBank (or QBook?) you are sure to nail this test. I'd really like to hear anyone's thoughts on this. How did you prepare? What would you have done differently? I am interested in psychiatry and I am pretty sure that if I can nail this test I can nail a great residency. Thanks!

I think the advice you've gotten on how best to prepare (First Aid, BRS Path, QBank)is pretty accurate. Looking back, I think I overextended myself as far as studying from too many resources. For stuff like anatomy, neuroanatomy, histo, embryo, and pharm, using anything other than or in addition to First Aid seems now to have been an inefficient use of time, especially if you only have a few weeks to study.

Best of luck!

Becket,

Thanks for replying. I'm wondering why people say BRS Path is a must yet I haven't heard that it is absolutely necessary to go through BRS Pharm or Physio. I hear the boards are all about mastering the three P's. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

DocToBe-
I guess it has to do with the focus of the exam, which is heavily on the side of path. Make sure, however, you don't concentrate too heavily on BRS Path to the detriment of the path section in First Aid. 1st Aid has a fair amount of info, like clinical signs and symptoms, that you won't find in BRS. As for physio, I did use BRS, but I mostly just skimmed the chapters. First Aid was my other source for physio, and it basically had everything BRS had, just in extremely condensed form. For almost all the physio questions on Step 1, First Aid was sufficient. And for pharm, I've never used nor even looked at BRS. This was the toughest part for me to prepare for, since it really boils down to a lot of brute memorization. There were very few pharm questions on the exam (could be different for you), and again, I think 1st Aid was the most efficient source.

Bottom line: for most sections (except path, where you need BRS), it's best to know First Aid cold than to know it only pretty well while consulting other sources out of fear that you haven't learned everything.

Hope that's helpful