davidxavi

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student
Hi all,
I've read in previous posts that Texas residents may be at a disadvantage when applying to schools outside of Texas because admissions officers know they are less likely to go OOS given the quality and value of Texas schools. I am a Washington state resident, and I know that my state medical school heavily favors applicants in the WWAMI region. Would I be at a similar disadvantage while applying outside of Washington? Thanks!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Not that I'm aware of.

Hi all,
I've read in previous posts that Texas residents may be at a disadvantage when applying to schools outside of Texas because admissions officers know they are less likely to go OOS given the quality and value of Texas schools. I am a Washington state resident, and I know that my state medical school heavily favors applicants in the WWAMI region. Would I be at a similar disadvantage while applying outside of Washington? Thanks!

kingdomheart

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Well if you're from Washington, and you apply to other state schools of course they'll prefer their own state students, meaning that there is a slight disadvantage towards you . I think most private schools though outside your state dont care much about state residency.

Reactions: Dr. Death

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
WA actually exports 234 pre-meds (matriculating only 123).
With an IS matriculation of only 12% (worse than CA), their OOS list is where they are more likely to matriculate!