How does residency impact my admissions chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidxavi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've read in previous posts that Texas residents may be at a disadvantage when applying to schools outside of Texas because admissions officers know they are less likely to go OOS given the quality and value of Texas schools. I am a Washington state resident, and I know that my state medical school heavily favors applicants in the WWAMI region. Would I be at a similar disadvantage while applying outside of Washington? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I'm aware of.

Hi all,
I've read in previous posts that Texas residents may be at a disadvantage when applying to schools outside of Texas because admissions officers know they are less likely to go OOS given the quality and value of Texas schools. I am a Washington state resident, and I know that my state medical school heavily favors applicants in the WWAMI region. Would I be at a similar disadvantage while applying outside of Washington? Thanks!

Well if you're from Washington, and you apply to other state schools of course they'll prefer their own state students, meaning that there is a slight disadvantage towards you . I think most private schools though outside your state dont care much about state residency.

Reactions: 1 user