How does Step 2 CS being abolished and Step 1 going P/F affect residency competitiveness for graduates from less highly ranked medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPenguinsGo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say Im going to be graduating from a “low ranked” allopathic school sayyyy NEOMED in Akron, Ohio but I want to do my residency at say Johns Hopkins. It used to be we could distinguish our apps using Step 1. But since that is going to be P/F after this year and Step 2 CS is gone, Id have no way to show Im as competent and competitive for a program now. Does this mean “prestige” of a medical school will be the main factor in students ability to match into a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Lets say Im going to be graduating from a “low ranked” allopathic school sayyyy NEOMED in Akron, Ohio but I want to do my residency at say Johns Hopkins. It used to be we could distinguish our apps using Step 1. But since that is going to be P/F after this year and Step 2 CS is gone, Id have no way to show Im as competent and competitive for a program now. Does this mean “prestige” of a medical school will be the main factor in students ability to match into a residency?
1612137777949.png

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
No one ever cared about CS unless you failed it, which didn't look very good and in some cases could delay graduation.

Learn the basic sciences, become proficient in history taking and physical examination, hone your clinical reasoning skills, work hard in the clinical years while playing well with others (i.e. get good clinical grades and rec letters), get involved in productive research, post a high score on Step 2 CK, do an away rotation at Hopkins. You know, the usual, just minus a Step 1 score.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users