How does the essay(MCAT) factor into admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just asking this question because recently I was told that they don't even look at the essay. Just wondering, I knew someone here would have the answer.:)

Have a great day!!

Hokte

Members don't see this ad.

It doesnt matter one bit. I received an N on the writing sample, and I have 14 interviews.

I'm graduating from a very competitive med school now and got an M! 25th%ile!! It helped that the rest of my scores were good, 34 total, including 12 on VR. A bad essay score won't hurt as much as 25th %ile in other areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can an S or T help?

I am not sure it matters much, but in a way it says something of your writing and speaking ability. I, for one, am proud of my R which is in the 85th percentile I think. Overall, though, your numerical scores matter much more.

It won't factor into admissions at all. Adcoms really do not give a **** about your writing score...it's the numerical scores that matter a LOT.

They already have writing samples in the form of your essay(s). They don't care how well you regurgitate a formulaic argument.

if you combine a bad essay with a bad VR score then its not good.

if you get a bad essay grade but have a good VR score then i dont think it will matter too much.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
It won't factor into admissions at all. Adcoms really do not give a **** about your writing score...it's the numerical scores that matter a LOT.

Hi, my name is BerkeleyPremed and I don't know what I'm talking about. I've never even taken the MCAT or even applied to medical school!"

My premed advisor, quite a well-known person throughout med school admissions said that it depends on the school. It will never be seen as important as verbal, phys, bio but it definitely has its part at some schools. My strong verbal and writing scores and personal statement all came up with one of my interviewers. I doubt this will make or break my application, but it most certainly helps when you create the image of being an outstanding reader and writer.

Don't sweat it, just avoid the the bottom 15% or so.

Avoid a 'J'

But seriously, you can blow the writing sample and still get interviewed at competitive schools.

You can apply late with a good numerical score and a very bad writing sample and get early acceptances at schools frequently discused on this forum.

I had a former WS evaluator evaluate a buncha sample essays I composed prior to the exam. I was expecting to score really high, especially in light of her feedback and all of my preparation. On the day of the actual writing sample, I felt incredibly confident, answered all of the questions, and had enough time to go back through my essays to correct grammar and spelling.

Given the results in October, my gut reaction was to challenge the pathetic mark I received in that section, but I refrained. A few "US News top schools" have snubbed me, but probably for other reasons. Several other schools with great reputations have invited me to interview. One interviewer, who'd been on his committee since about the beginning of time, actually teased me about my writing score and rolled his eyes when I asked him how accurately the writing sample determined writing ability.

Short answer: if the rest of your CAT is great, then it DOESN'T factor into whether or not you get interviewed.

I think it sucks that a great writing sample can't help out an applicant more. The MCAT could be four sections of 15, then. I would actually prefer that. :)

Originally posted by hokte
I'm just asking this question because recently I was told that they don't even look at the essay. Just wondering, I knew someone here would have the answer.:)

Have a great day!!

Hokte

The writing sample they look at is your personal essay and secondaries :)

Originally posted by Super Rob
Avoid a 'J'

But seriously, you can blow the writing sample and still get interviewed at competitive schools.

You can apply late with a good numerical score and a very bad writing sample and get early acceptances at schools frequently discused on this forum.

I had a former WS evaluator evaluate a buncha sample essays I composed prior to the exam. I was expecting to score really high, especially in light of her feedback and all of my preparation. On the day of the actual writing sample, I felt incredibly confident, answered all of the questions, and had enough time to go back through my essays to correct grammar and spelling.

Given the results in October, my gut reaction was to challenge the pathetic mark I received in that section, but I refrained. A few "US News top schools" have snubbed me, but probably for other reasons. Several other schools with great reputations have invited me to interview. One interviewer, who'd been on his committee since about the beginning of time, actually teased me about my writing score and rolled his eyes when I asked him how accurately the writing sample determined writing ability.

Short answer: if the rest of your CAT is great, then it DOESN'T factor into whether or not you get interviewed.

Just curious...so, what did you get on the WS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by hokte
[BHow does the essay(MCAT) factor into admissions?
Have a great day!!

Hokte [/B]

It doesn't.

That being said, don't be a dunce and write the essay in Spanish and get a J. "J" students aren't competitive applicants.

Coops

Originally posted by gschl1234
Just curious...so, what did you get on the WS?

Context may be helpful here, but I don't want to give out stats or insult someone who may have been happy to receive my score. It was below average, according to the score report. It was also below the mean score of last year's accepted applicants.

I got a L. :wow:

I'll tell you how it affects things in a year or so.

Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
I got a L. :wow:

I'll tell you how it affects things in a year or so.

so did i, which i was not expecting at all. but i'm doing quite well even with it.

Last week, I had an interview and my writing score was singled out. He mentioned that he was impressed by my score. And that I must be a strong writer. My total MCAT is strong, but he just focused on the writing section. He said that being able to write well and articulate well is something important.

So, I asked him about the fact that they recieve a writing sample from us with the personal statement. He smiled and said, "That's assuming that you wrote your personal statement. We know that most applicants have friends, editors, and teachers. We're not getting an honest appraisal of your writing. So, yes we do look at the MCAT writing section. It's the best possible evaluation."

I got an S and no one cared...

all that matters are the numbers.

Omar

If English's not your first language, then the writing score is taken more seriously at some schools. Since TOEFL is usually not required for med school admission, and Verbal score can only tell you so much, writing score becomes another factor in admission.

Of course, since English writing/literature classes are required for admissions at most, if not all schools, grades in those classes will be important.

you guys are wrong, it's not that all schools dismiss the writing section, some do, but not all. For instance, I know of a school that requires an M on the writing section. So, if you get an L or a J you don't get an invite. So, some schools do care. It's all part of the package. Don't think you can leave it blank or doodle. It counts.

I had a WS score that was incongruent with my numerical score, including VR. I've had 15+ interview invites and counting. No one's mentioned it at a single interview either.

When people say that no one cares about the writing section, it's because no one does.

tf

well, no one cares is wrong. Some people do care. It's really going to depend on the school. So, to say on one cares is stupid. Because I've personally met people that factor it.

For the most part, it's not that important, but it can help and hurt you. And as I've said, University of New England requires an M on the MCAT. J, K, L get automatic rejections from them. So, it does count....

OK, you've got a point. The vast, vast majority of people don't care.