How does the Univ of Maryland look at the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waryman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how a school like the University of Maryland looks at the PCAT. Do they take the highest PCAT score, the most recent score, or the highest of each subsection of each test? I have no idea how tey do it and was wondering if anyone had any insight. I am worried as I took the PCAT three times so far and got a 73 from the Oct. 18 test whichis down from my 79 composite of the same time last year. I am considering taking it for a fourth time and studying my ass off during winter break for the January test. I know they will not accept that actual test due to the time taken... Any info on other schools as well is also appreciated (specifically east coast schools)

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how a school like the University of Maryland looks at the PCAT. Do they take the highest PCAT score, the most recent score, or the highest of each subsection of each test? I have no idea how tey do it and was wondering if anyone had any insight. I am worried as I took the PCAT three times so far and got a 73 from the Oct. 18 test whichis down from my 79 composite of the same time last year. I am considering taking it for a fourth time and studying my ass off during winter break for the January test. I know they will not accept that actual test due to the time taken... Any info on other schools as well is also appreciated (specifically east coast schools)

I think they only take the best composite score. So if you didn't get 80 then you won't be considered. You also have to get 80 and score greater than 80 on chem and bio I think (or was it 70?).

I think they only take the best composite score. So if you didn't get 80 then you won't be considered. You also have to get 80 and score greater than 80 on chem and bio I think (or was it 70?).

That's not necessarily true, the recruitment coordinator told me that even though Maryland has that minimum of 80 composite and 60 for biology and chemistry subtest, they will still look at your application if you're within 10 percent of the minimum. So if you met the required percentiles for biology and chemistry but the composite is in the 70's, Maryland will still look at your application. Hope this makes you feel better!

That's not necessarily true, the recruitment coordinator told me that even though Maryland has that minimum of 80 composite and 60 for biology and chemistry subtest, they will still look at your application if you're within 10 percent of the minimum. So if you met the required percentiles for biology and chemistry but the composite is in the 70's, Maryland will still look at your application. Hope this makes you feel better!

hmm thanks

well that was just a guess. I thought min req was a cut off point and it did say that you need 60 or above in bio/chem on the composite score of 80 or greater. So you can't have those scores higher in a lower scored PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank God!!! That actually makes me feel much better as I want to go to Maryland so bad. Now I won't have to feel like crap the next few months

When exactly did you speak with the event coordinator? Was it this year? Just want to make sure that this is what they are doing currently.

When exactly did you speak with the event coordinator? Was it this year? Just want to make sure that this is what they are doing currently.

If you want to know... just call them. You can't trust everything on these boards...although I do trust Frigo isn't lying, it is better to hear it directly from them.

Last edited:

It was this year during the open house and also when I invited her as a guest speaker at my school.