How does this course schedule for a post-bacc look? Also, how can I re-teach myself general chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated a couple months ago. I need a post-bacc and then probably a masters to get into dental school. This is the schedule I've made for this upcoming Fall semester.

Histology (300+ level class).
Advanced anatomy and lab (this is the only anatomy class science majors at my school can take, its a 300+ level class).
Physics 1 and lab
General chemistry 2, no lab. (got a D in the lecture freshman year).

Depending on things go, I might replace anatomy with evolution (300+ level class). Or, I might just take both.

then in the spring, this is what I'm planning on:

Physics 2 and lab
biochem without lab
2-3 more upper level bio classes.

My questions are:
  • does my Fall schedule look "good"? Good in the sense that it's not too much of a course overload, good amount of upper level classes, etc.
  • last time I took gen chem was 2 years ago. How can I reteach myself gen chem so that I'm ready to dive right into gen chem 2?
  • Should I add evolution to this schedule, or should I replace it with anatomy? I'm thinking evolution should be an easy class. And it's only available in the Fall

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should definitely ask yourself what your time commitment will be in the fall because that will be a heavy load. If you'll be busy with a part-time job or extracurriculars then I would advise against that schedule, but if you can stay disciplined then I think you would be okay. Dental schools like to see that you can handle heavy course loads, so if you can manage it then I would say go for it!

For your question about relearning gen chem, don't worry about it! Gen chem 2(at most schools and in my experience) is mostly equilibrium, redox, kinetics, etc. which are topics that can be learned on their own. As far as taking anatomy versus evolution, I would recommend anatomy. It was one of my favorite courses in undergrad and many schools require anatomy; however, if you think evolution would be easier and you're worried that your grades will suffer with a difficult class like anatomy, then I would take the evolution course instead.

Good luck!:)

For re-teaching yourself gen chem you could look into Chad's Videos for General Chemistry or Khan Academy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s a heavy load for fall and spring... do it if you can manage them all. But you also need to do a masters on top of this?

I think you should definitely ask yourself what your time commitment will be in the fall because that will be a heavy load. If you'll be busy with a part-time job or extracurriculars then I would advise against that schedule, but if you can stay disciplined then I think you would be okay. Dental schools like to see that you can handle heavy course loads, so if you can manage it then I would say go for it!

For your question about relearning gen chem, don't worry about it! Gen chem 2(at most schools and in my experience) is mostly equilibrium, redox, kinetics, etc. which are topics that can be learned on their own. As far as taking anatomy versus evolution, I would recommend anatomy. It was one of my favorite courses in undergrad and many schools require anatomy; however, if you think evolution would be easier and you're worried that your grades will suffer with a difficult class like anatomy, then I would take the evolution course instead.

Good luck!:)

I do work, however I'm "my own boss" and I can work around things. That's really what "scares" me if that makes sense.

Do you think I should take evolution and anatomy? Anatomy since its a pre-req for some dental schools and evolution since it should be an easy A.

You should definitely take anatomy. It will prepare you well for dental school, and it's required for some schools as you've said.

Know what you can handle and don't overdo it. Protect your GPA at all costs