How Does This Work? And When Is The Right Time??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided to take the MCAT on May of 2012 (My Junior Year). By then I have completed all my requirements. But, In my spring semester of 2012, I will be taking Organic Chemistry 2, Physiology, A Bio Elect, and a Liberal Arts Course or Language (Requirement to Graduate). I'm afraid that I wont be able to study for the MCAT and maintain a Strong GPA on that Spring.

So I thought maybe I could take it in July of 2012. Will it be too late to apply to Medical School for 2013? Or would it be too late to take the MCAT 2013 in order to enter Medical School on 2013?

If its best to take it on 2012, have any of you guys gone through this and still managed to be successful on the MCAT?

I am lost, and I need some guidance... Help? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

The right time is whenever you reach your target score on practice exams....

There is always going to be something that "gets in the way" of studying. Yet taking a semester off to study etc. is not necessary. Medical school requires you to juggle a lot of hard learning and studying. You need to make a schedule and figure out how you can get in everything you need to.

I had a really heavy course load when I took the MCAT but made it work for me. You can too! Just look at your life and SCHEDULE yourself. Decide how much time you want going to various EC's, courses etc.

I wrote up my advice on this topic Here:
http://www.squidoo.com/medical-school-admissions and here:
http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-ace-the-mcat

I hope you find it helpful.

Last edited:
Will it be too late to apply to Medical School for 2013?

Or would it be too late to take the MCAT 2013 in order to enter Medical School on 2013?
If you take a July MCAT, and submit to AMCAS while you are waiting for the score (perhaps to one school only, just to get the transcript verification process started), and maybe start prewriting some of the Secondary essays to enable a rapid turn-around time, then getting an August score return should not unduly disadvantage you for getting an acceptance for a fall 2013 start date. You could take the MCAT later than you've planned, but your chances of optimal consideration decrease later in the cycle, especially if your stats are mediocre.