How does transplantation/immunosuppression cause diabetes, hypertension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

str8flexed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone just briefly tell me the mechanism behind how transplantation or the immunosuppressant drugs (like Prograf) that can cause kidney disease, hypertension, diabetes, osteoporosis?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone just briefly tell me the mechanism behind how transplantation or the immunosuppressant drugs (like Prograf) that can cause kidney disease, hypertension, diabetes, osteoporosis?

You might want to look at the side effects of corticosteroids as well as calcineurin inhibitors, since some of those side effects are more typical of the former.

Tacrolimus and Cyclosporine both inhibit prostaglandin production in endothelial cells. Hence, the mechanism of nephrotoxicity of calcineurin inhibitors can be considered comparable to the nephrotoxicity of NSAIDs. For some reason, my pharm course never taught us this (we still learned the immunosuppresants but not this mechanism), it was only until my Transplant rotation did an attending explain it to me.

Tacrolimus and Cyclosporine -> reduced prostaglandin production -> Afferent arteriole constriction -> reduced GFR and diminished renal blood flow -> nephrotoxicity -> chronic kidney disease

Chronic kidney disease => hypertension (kidneys unable to maintain proper fluid and electrolyte balance in the body, leading to hypertension). Also consider that if a transplanted kidney (most likely reason why somebody would be taking tacrolimus), if the donor has HTN, once that kidney is transplanted, the recipient will develop HTN (through an unknown mechanism). Chronic rejection in transplant patients is also an ongoing problem, further damaging the kidney graft, furthering the chronic kidney injury.

Chronic kidney disease -> diminished activity of 1,25-OH Vit D hydroxlyase ->low levels of active 1,25-OH Vit D -> Low serum calcium -> Secondary Hyperparathyroidism -> Elevated PTH -> Elevated osteoclast activity -> increased bone resorption ->Osteoporosis

How does Tacrolimus lead to DM? I wouldn't know. I'd imagine there might be some insulin resistance somehow induced by Tacrolimus. Although, the most common cause for renal transplantation today is DM... but I imagine that tacrolimus somehow initiates or exacerbates the risk factors of DM in patients, I just don't know how.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://content.nejm.org.ezproxy2.library.drexel.edu/cgi/content/full/353/16/1711

I would say do your own homework, but this article from NEJM is perhaps the best thing ever as far as glucocorticoids go so I had to post it. I mean just look at one of the pictures from it...it's like Netter all over again.

12f1.jpeg

http://content.nejm.org.ezproxy2.library.drexel.edu/cgi/content/full/353/16/1711

I would say do your own homework, but this article from NEJM is perhaps the best thing ever as far as glucocorticoids go so I had to post it. I mean just look at one of the pictures from it...it's like Netter all over again.

12f1.jpeg

Not sure what article this is but there is a good review article by Halloran in the NEJM about immunosuppression in Kidney transplant. The post above is a good summary of nephrotoxicity, but this is more acute. Calcineurin inhibitors also lead to alterations (fibrosis) of the arterioles over time which lead to chronic decline in kidney function. The thing about htn in the recipient from the donor is false. I have never heard of this.

Tacrolimus in itself does not cause osteo, this is typically caused by steroids and many kidney transplants can come off of steroids so this helps.

Insulin resistance secondary to tacrolimus and steroids leads to diabetes.

Cardiovascular disease can be a problem and is the number 1 killer in transplant patients (not organ rejection)