how early in advance should i move into a new place?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How early in advance should I move into a new place before school starts?

Members don't see this ad.

make sure you have a week or so to acquainted with the area

I moved in a little over a month before school began to explore the city, get relaxed and comfortable, and enjoy the city without having to worry about school. If you're moving to a big and exciting city (Boston, SF, NYC, LA, Chicago), especially a new city that is far from home, I'd recommend moving in a month or more before school begins. If you're already familiar with the city or if it's a suburban/rural located school, a week should suffice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I moved in a little over a month before school began to explore the city, get relaxed and comfortable, and enjoy the city without having to worry about school. If you're moving to a big and exciting city (Boston, SF, NYC, LA, Chicago), especially a new city that is far from home, I'd recommend moving in a month or more before school begins. If you're already familiar with the city or if it's a suburban/rural located school, a week should suffice.

^Good advice. This is what I'll be doing.

I'm moving in a month before school starts. It's important to get settled, get comfortable with the area, and havthe place feel more like home. Hell, we've already been down there a few different weekends painting the place and fixing it up to our liking...it's feeling more and more like home.

I was thinking about 3 days before orientation. LOL.

I was thinking about 3 days before orientation. LOL.

Cutting it close there bro! I was thinking about getting there a month before. I agree though, if you are moving somewhere big then get there a while before.

About a week before orientation should be plenty to do everything. Could also save a couple thousands by working till the latest.:)

have no choice, school starts mid August and my lease is july 1st. So might as well check out the place a month in advance.
Plus my apt will be unfurnished. so i needs to buy furniture. I agree with Palmetto, I definitely want to make it homey before everything starts.

Question to you guys:
for the initial deposits/rents/move in furniture and other costs, how are yall funding? We have not even started hearing back about loans :(

Question to you guys:
for the initial deposits/rents/move in furniture and other costs, how are yall funding? We have not even started hearing back about loans :(

Luckily for me, my fiance and I already had a place together, so we've got plenty of furniture already. It also doesn't hurt that my future in-laws would die before their "little girl" lived in anything that wasn't to their (high) standards.

If I had to do it alone, though, I'd be using credit cards. IKEA, craigslist, and the clearance sections of furniture stores would be my new best friends.

About a week before orientation should be plenty to do everything. Could also save a couple thousands by working till the latest.:)
Are you being sarcastic or for real? It seems that I am the only one who said a week before orientation so I don't know whether I am being stupid or what.:scared:

Are you being sarcastic or for real? It seems that I am the only one who said a week before orientation so I don't know whether I am being stupid or what.:scared:
I was saying it for real. Why do you need a month to get to know a place better??? You can do it in 2-3 days.

I agree, I was mentally thinking I would need only a week. That would give me time to set up, clean the apartment, find the local grocery store, and cook some meals in advance. The only thing is that leases tend to start at the beginning of the month, so if orientation starts on the 15th, you have two weeks. If orientation were to start on the 3rd, you'd have to decide if 2 days suits your comfort level.

So... now is the time to sign leases? Is May or June too late? I am looking at apartments next week but I am really new to this and my dad is gung-ho about buying a condo :scared: which would theoretically save money.