How early is EARLY??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdman12345

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep getting the same advice which is apply early!!!...my question is what is considered early? I know the process takes a long time by the time u submit grades, and transcripts and DAT scores, etc....For those who applied "EARY" when exactly did your schools recieve all your information? that is, when was your file considered complete and everythign in the hands of your desired schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying early means as early as possible. Some might have to wait for their spring grades before they submit, but other then that, submit on June 1st if you can.

AADSAS was actually available this past year in mid-May. I submitted my application the first day AADSAS was available...like May 15th or something. Have your transcripts, personal statement, extra-curricular activities and names of your LOR ready at least. I didn't have my DAT scores until after my interview, and I just faxed my scores to the school after I finished the test. In mid-May, I checked to see if AADSAS was available EVERYDAY so that I could submit my application that day. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mine around 17 or 18 May. I had a printout from last year so it made filling it out quick. I just took a couple days to revise/update my statement. I was in the first interview wave for two schools and the second for two. Submitting early is key. I did not submit until Nov last year and was only interviewed at one school and waitlisted. I did not retake the DAT or take any new classes for this cycle, just applied early.

Apply in May if you can. Some schools fill up their interviews VERY fast. Case invited me for an interview in August, but when I called to schedule they were booked through January. And I applied on June 14...

Start getting your personal statement together
Ask your teachers for LOR
request 2 copies of your official transcript

When AADSAS opens try to complete the App in a couple of days (mid to late may) and send in your transcripts and LOR. Then take DAT at latest in July. People advise you to apply early because AADSAS takes a REALLY long time to process applications and every now and again it randomly holds an app for "verification"

Dental schools accept on a rolling basis so the early they invite you for an interview the earlier you have a chance to get accepted (after dec. 1)

I suspect this next cycle is going to be very competitive.

bkwash said:
Start getting your personal statement together
Ask your teachers for LOR
request 2 copies of your official transcript

When AADSAS opens try to complete the App in a couple of days (mid to late may) and send in your transcripts and LOR. Then take DAT at latest in July. People advise you to apply early because AADSAS takes a REALLY long time to process applications and every now and again it randomly holds an app for "verification"

Dental schools accept on a rolling basis so the early they invite you for an interview the earlier you have a chance to get accepted (after dec. 1)

I suspect this next cycle is going to be very competitive.

Why two copies?

dn6603 said:
Why two copies?

One to be sent to AADSAS and one for you ti enter the information on AADSAS. It must be recorded excatly how it is on your transcript.

utahdent123 said:
One to be sent to AADSAS and one for you ti enter the information on AADSAS. It must be recorded excatly how it is on your transcript.

Applying early as possible is good but I say as long as you submit aadsas before August 1st you should be ok.
I also got the Case interview in August and scheduled for Dec 15th..but later on when I called them they had tons of open spots because of cancellations..so I could have made it for late November or very early December if I wanted.
Click submit before August rolls around and you'll be fine..

Apply in May. Absolutely straight up best advice you'll get here. I stayed up all night to get it done because I have average stats. I got in nearly everywhere I applied. I think if I had delayed a couple of months, I might not have had any choices or worse any acceptance.

Just get it all in as soon as possible. Best advice you'll ever get. Good luck! :)

err i really hate sdn sometimes... MOST Schools do not look at files till sometime in late summer.. so you probably apply around july or so and still be considered early. i applied in september 2 years ago and i still got interviews to all my schools that i applied to 11

dn6603 said:
Why two copies?

you have to retype your transcript into aadsas it was easier for me to have a hard copy vs. looking at the copy on the cpu screen.

dn6603 said:
Why two copies?

you have to retype your transcript into aadsas it was easier for me to have a hard copy vs. looking at the copy on the cpu screen. once you open the transcript it is "unofficial"

MC4 said:
I submitted mine around 17 or 18 May. I had a printout from last year so it made filling it out quick. I just took a couple days to revise/update my statement. I was in the first interview wave for two schools and the second for two. Submitting early is key. I did not submit until Nov last year and was only interviewed at one school and waitlisted. I did not retake the DAT or take any new classes for this cycle, just applied early.
MC4 - Do you mind me asking what your stats are? I am just trying to find out if I need to retake the DAT, or do a postbacc, or just apply earlier like you (for 2007).

PDizzle said:
Applying early means as early as possible. Some might have to wait for their spring grades before they submit, but other then that, submit on June 1st if you can.

Do you think I should still submit everything without my spring grade(OChem II is the only prereq I have left) in mid-may? Would they still look at my application if I have OChem in progress since it's a prereq. What are your thoughts?

tissy said:
Do you think I should still submit everything without my spring grade(OChem II is the only prereq I have left) in mid-may? Would they still look at my application if I have OChem in progress since it's a prereq. What are your thoughts?

of course..apply without it. no big deal