How early is still early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Led Zep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone says it's best to apply early, but I want to prepare adequately for the MCAT so i will be applying in the July/August timeframe, is this still considered early?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone says it's best to apply early, but I want to prepare adequately for the MCAT so i will be applying in the July/August timeframe, is this still considered early?

It's a little bit late, not super late, but it's certainly not early. Your best bet is to just do you application, at least start it. To have the best chances possible at acceptance, you need to get it done ASAP, with or without MCAT scores.

It's a little bit late, not super late, but it's certainly not early. Your best bet is to just do you application, at least start it. To have the best chances possible at acceptance, you need to get it done ASAP, with or without MCAT scores.

Wait, so I can submit my application without my MCAT scores, will the school review it or will they wait to get my MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, so I can submit my application without my MCAT scores, will the school review it or will they wait to get my MCAT scores?

Well the problem is that you have to also factor in the 4+ weeks it takes for AACOMAS to process your application - so if you don't submit until August, you're looking at September or later for schools to receive your info.

So, by the time they receive your app, send you a secondary, and you return it... you're looking at possibly October-November until your application is complete, and they take a while to review before sending you interview invites. Hence why early application is key - I made the mistake of applying late, but it was mostly due to a personal/family tragedy - I just was lucky enough to get accepted.

So just to be sure, I can submit my application, and then just submit my MCAT scores as soon as I get them?

Would you be able to tell me your stats by chance, when you applied, seeing as you did apply late?

Hey Zep, I am applying late as well as I am taking the MCAT for the first time at the end of August. My application won't be complete till late Sept/Oct. I know this is extremely late and although it decreases my chances, I feel that if I take the MCAT early and end up bombing it, then my chances are zero.

And yes, you can submit your application without the MCAT scores (That's what I'm planning to do too.) They just won't review it until they receive the MCAT score but at least you'll have everything else done for them to review.

Would you be able to tell me your stats by chance, when you applied, seeing as you did apply late?

first: yeah, you can submit your application even if you haven't taken the MCAT yet.

secondly: I applied around August, I believe? About the same time frame as you're asking about, and AACOMAS takes much longer to process than AAMCAS does, so you have to allow for more time for the DO schools. Either way, my applications for MD schools weren't complete until September, and it was October, probably, for the DO schools.
sgpa: 3.0
cgpa: 3.4
MCAT: 29L (the L is a horrible score, but I wasn't retaking my MCAT just to improve the writing section, and most advice I got was that if your personal statement and secondary essays were well-written, they could overlook it. Considering that writing has always been my strong point, I figured I just choked on test day. Oh well.)

Very helpful information thanks both of you.

I will be apllying also before I sit my MCAT's. I will be sitting them Aug 20th. I spoke to Lecom-B today and they will even send out secondaries with out them. I scanned snd and found somebody posted that they recieved an interview days after their scores were submitted.

tbcnm