How early is too early for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaybeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman right now, and I have this great English professor. He is a real smart man, and I know that he would write a great LOR for me. Would it be too early for me to ask him to write a LOR for me? I would ask him now because I think if I wait until I'm a soph/junior to ask him, though he would probably still remember me, I'm afraid that the letter wouldn't be as effective as it would be if he were to write it now. Also I'm afraid that he won't remember how I was in class, or my personality. You know, little stuff like that. So should I ask him to write it for me now? Even though I wouldn't submit it for another three years! If anyone has done this, or knows anyone that's done this, please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend waiting. You will need up-to-date, recently dated LOR's to submit. Stay in contact with him and then when you apply THEN go ask him for a LOR if you still want to.

I thought I would use some of my profs I had as a freshman, but never did. I used only the most recent profs that I had in my upper level classes.

Too early. Don't schools want letters written within the last year or two? If you still want to get this guy to write you a letter your junior year, try to keep in touch with him even when your class is over. Although, it's only been like 6-8 weeks since school started? How well does this prof really know you?

-RA

I would reiterate what AmyB wrote. One of the most important factors to success in college is building long term relationships with professors during your entire college career. You've got a great start, but I would think about how you can teach in touch with this person and make him or her into a mentor for you -- e.g., taking other classes, doing independent research, going to his or her office hours once or twice a semester, etc.

Good luck with everything.