How early is too early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up fellow MCATTERS..

I'm not writing the beast until 2007, and in the meantime I'm doing a 2 year post-bacc. However, I know my vice is going to be the verbal section for sure. I bought the EK complete guide to get a head start on their verbal strategy and thought I'd start taking the practice tests out of EK to see where my nadir is.

My question is, do you think its too early to do this? I know verbal is the hardest to improve, thats why I'm so concerned, and I don't plan on taking the AAMC verbal tests until ive completed all my pre-reqs so I can take the whole exam.

In the meantime do you think its cool to try some practice stuff or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking next August and I too feel that Verbal would be my weakest section. I bought the EK Verbal 101 book and have done the first test. I did much better than I expected so I am going to hold off on doing more so that I can use them to make sure I peak at the right time.

If you have the EK Set so far, I would just try to look over those while taking the classes so you know what you will need to recall later.

Again remember that resources are limited and you don't want to use them all too early.

BrettBatchelor said:
I am taking next August and I too feel that Verbal would be my weakest section. I bought the EK Verbal 101 book and have done the first test. I did much better than I expected so I am going to hold off on doing more so that I can use them to make sure I peak at the right time.

If you have the EK Set so far, I would just try to look over those while taking the classes so you know what you will need to recall later.

Again remember that resources are limited and you don't want to use them all too early.

I'm not taking it until then either. However, many have recommended the wall street journal, ECONOMIST, atlantic monthly, ny times, as good reads. Definitely check out the economist. Great magazine that will enlighten you and provide mcat level reading.

Will Hunting said:
I'm not taking it until then either. However, many have recommended the wall street journal, ECONOMIST, atlantic monthly, ny times, as good reads. Definitely check out the economist. Great magazine that will enlighten you and provide mcat level reading.
I need intensely dry humanities passages. Just like the Confucious of 3R. Any leads?

Members don't see this ad :)
i found that reading ALOT definitely helps. i dono't think you need to start doing passages now as opposed to just working on overall reading/verbal skills. one thing that i did a lot in undergrad was not look at my textbooks very closely-- i usually just relied on class notes, summaries, etc... but i found that reading my textbook more critically has helped me a lot in my overall reading ability. if you're already doing that, however, more power to ya ;) and stay away from the tv! read a book.

jintonic5 said:
i found that reading ALOT definitely helps. i dono't think you need to start doing passages now as opposed to just working on overall reading/verbal skills. one thing that i did a lot in undergrad was not look at my textbooks very closely-- i usually just relied on class notes, summaries, etc... but i found that reading my textbook more critically has helped me a lot in my overall reading ability. if you're already doing that, however, more power to ya ;) and stay away from the tv! read a book.

My scores have gone from a 4 (I know absolutely pitiful) to now a 9 so far. I started practicing verbal for the last 6 weeks. I am hoping to peak in the next few weeks. I think that the EK material has been superior thus far.

BrettBatchelor said:

That was my only concern, thanks for your feedback. I'll try to pace myself. I thought it would help to try some humanities readings in spare time but oddly enough EK says in its verbal reasoning strategy that reading does not help. I found this to be an odd statement because I think being familiar with humanities-style writing would only help.

jintonic5 said:
i found that reading ALOT definitely helps.

I agree, it definately helps in terms of familiarity with humanities. Don't you think its odd that EK says that reading more does not improve scores on the verbal section?

Sundarban1 said:
I agree, it definately helps in terms of familiarity with humanities. Don't you think its odd that EK says that reading more does not improve scores on the verbal section?

they say that becuase its ineffective to do so within the short time frame they assume you have. Sure if you are reading their stuff 3 years prior to taking the MCAT, which barely anyone does, will reading alone help you on the verbal section.