How early is too early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HailMary

My mom thinks I'm cool...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'll be taking the new CBT MCAT in May 2007, and it'll be my 2nd time taking the test (1st time 30P, 10P, 9B, 11V). I really want to boost my score since my GPA is only a 3.3 in a non-science major, and I think I'll do better since I've since graduated and I won't be juggling studying for the MCAT with being a full-time student. Last time I took the April test and started studying hardcore in January (I took TPR Hyperlearning). I don't think I reached my full potential because I never really did the homework for the class. I'm going to retake the class, but I think I'm going to go for fewer weekly sessions for a longer period of time (starting in Oct). I want to be more prepared than I was last time, but I also don't want to burn out before I take the test. Does anyone have any recommendations of things I should start studying or doing now, or do you think I'm in danger of burning out if I start too early? Is it worth it to crack open my old Princeton Review books?? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

where are u trying to get into for school? what is your bcpm gpa? i probably wouldnt retake with that score if i were you. why not take the time you would spend studying and work at a hospital or do something esle to boost the other parts of your application. A thirty is competitive at a lot of schools.

I'm shooting for a SoCal school. UCLA is the dream school, but it feels pretty out of reach. I work full time in a medical research clinic (we do clinical trials for HIV/AIDS patients), so I get significant patient contact, and I had a lot ECs in college. BCPM is ~3.0, but I have 2 C's, (one in math, one in a chem lab). A 30 seems to be much more competitive for applicants who have a higher GPA than I do (and it seems like most people do).

HailMary said:
I'm shooting for a SoCal school. UCLA is the dream school, but it feels pretty out of reach. I work full time in a medical research clinic (we do clinical trials for HIV/AIDS patients), so I get significant patient contact, and I had a lot ECs in college. BCPM is ~3.0, but I have 2 C's, (one in math, one in a chem lab). A 30 seems to be much more competitive for applicants who have a higher GPA than I do (and it seems like most people do).

No offense, but even if you got a 35 you could still be turned down at any school. Your 30 is great - why not apply this cycle anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually really curious when I should start studying for the mcat also.
I plan on taking it in January 2007. This is actually the 2nd time around for me. The first time i scored a 28 7V, 11 PS 10 BS. I think my mcat score was the main reason I was denied an admission into a school. Should I also quit my job to make studying for the mcat a full time job for the next 5 or so months? I'm aiming for a 35 for the mcat and I'm committed to take this mcat very seriously. Can I hit this score working about 3 times a week along with studying hardcore for 4 days and some light studying before/during/after work on those other days? Or should i just forget about working?

polarbingbear said:
bump

anybody want to answer my question?

Nobody can really predict if you can hit your score, no matter how much time you put in. That defeats the purpose of a standardized test, as it would unfairly award those who study a year in advance. :laugh:

It all depends on how well you can raise your verbal... and that seems to vary widely for many people (I'm at the end of my third month of studying and I've improved maybe 0.5 of a point in VR? :rolleyes: )

HailMary said:
Hi everyone,
I'll be taking the new CBT MCAT in May 2007, and it'll be my 2nd time taking the test (1st time 30P, 10P, 9B, 11V). I really want to boost my score since my GPA is only a 3.3 in a non-science major, and I think I'll do better since I've since graduated and I won't be juggling studying for the MCAT with being a full-time student. Last time I took the April test and started studying hardcore in January (I took TPR Hyperlearning). I don't think I reached my full potential because I never really did the homework for the class. I'm going to retake the class, but I think I'm going to go for fewer weekly sessions for a longer period of time (starting in Oct). I want to be more prepared than I was last time, but I also don't want to burn out before I take the test. Does anyone have any recommendations of things I should start studying or doing now, or do you think I'm in danger of burning out if I start too early? Is it worth it to crack open my old Princeton Review books?? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Retake if you think it will help. I am not sure about the competition in socal. Do you not have time for extra courses, a masters, or a post-bacc to bring your GPA up?

I'm testing in April, and i'm studying already...

but my undergrad major is Music and Psychology...

and i haven't had the pre-reqs

but I have about an 18-19 on my diagnostic

and i'm teaching myself the pre-reqs.

After I conquer the beast (it will be done), i'm enrolling in the pre-reqs. I'll grad with my other degrees in May and start them in the summer.

I know i'm bass-ackwards, but i love studying and i want to know i can do it.

gradu8in2003 said:

After I conquer the beast (it will be done), i'm enrolling in the pre-reqs. I'll grad with my other degrees in May and start them in the summer.

Yikes. Good luck. Have you had Ochem and Physics before? Those are hard to teach yourself.

megboo said:
Yikes. Good luck. Have you had Ochem and Physics before? Those are hard to teach yourself.

Nope. I got a 18-19 on my diag. and with almost a year to go, i'm confident that I can do it.

I'm taking it the first time "for fun" and to see how well I can do. If I need to take it again, I will during pre-reqs. But if I can do it without them, I'll see where I stand (and if I want to shell out the money for a year of pre med pre-reqs at my private college...)

Yes, I realize i'm insane. hahaha.

gradu8in2003 said:

You're my hero. True warrior. :)

gradu8in2003 said:
Nope. I got a 18-19 on my diag. and with almost a year to go, i'm confident that I can do it.

I'm taking it the first time "for fun" and to see how well I can do. If I need to take it again, I will during pre-reqs. But if I can do it without them, I'll see where I stand (and if I want to shell out the money for a year of pre med pre-reqs at my private college...)

Well, good luck!

gradu8in2003 said:

you have to take the pre-reqs one way or the other...why not just take 'em first? it'll only help you out, no?

MedChic said:
you have to take the pre-reqs one way or the other...why not just take 'em first? it'll only help you out, no?

yes, but i'm too far along in the degrees i have to switch majors at this point, and if when i sit for the test the first time i do AWFUL, I may choose to not take the pre-reqs and forgo the idea altogether.

gradu8in2003 said:
yes, but i'm too far along in the degrees i have to switch majors at this point, and if when i sit for the test the first time i do AWFUL, I may choose to not take the pre-reqs and forgo the idea altogether.

I would advise against taking the MCAT without the pre-reqs especially just to "take it".

this is an exam you really only want to take once. If you do horribly, adcoms might have doubts about your academic abilities and judgment, even if you do well the second time around.

Seriously, in thinking of your application well-being, it would be best to take it after you finish the pre-reqs. You don't have to switch your major - it's just Gen chem I/II, Bio I/II, Physics I/II, and Organic I/II, which could be finished in a short amount of time.

I would look into what specific adcoms have to say about bombing the MCAT, especially after not having taken the pre-reqs yet. However, some people have done well, but that is a very small percentage.

megboo said:
I would advise against taking the MCAT without the pre-reqs especially just to "take it".

this is an exam you really only want to take once. If you do horribly, adcoms might have doubts about your academic abilities and judgment, even if you do well the second time around.

Seriously, in thinking of your application well-being, it would be best to take it after you finish the pre-reqs. You don't have to switch your major - it's just Gen chem I/II, Bio I/II, Physics I/II, and Organic I/II, which could be finished in a short amount of time.

I would look into what specific adcoms have to say about bombing the MCAT, especially after not having taken the pre-reqs yet. However, some people have done well, but that is a very small percentage.

Thanks, I'll keep studying and see what i'm looking at closer to April. If I have to sit it out til Aug, I will :)