How Early Should You Start Studying for the MCATS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKaur92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into my Junior Year of Undergrad, I have taken all the necessary classes for Med school, except for Physics. Which I will be taking this coming fall.

I don't have the highest sGPA. I am hoping to take my MCATs hopefully next summer.

What study approach should I use and how soon should I start studying for them?

Members don't see this ad.

Going into my Junior Year of Undergrad, I have taken all the necessary classes for Med school, except for Physics. Which I will be taking this coming fall.

I don't have the highest sGPA. I am hoping to take my MCATs hopefully next summer.

i suggest you approach studying by reading and learning the science content, then answering mcat type questions. same way you study for any other test, read and learn the content, practice by using practice questions that will be similar to the test. as to when to begin, it honestly depends on how familiar you already are with your fundamentals.

I wouldn't begin studying more than 5-6 months in advance or else you run the riskes of 1) running out of practice material before your exam and/or 2) forgetting some of the material you studied earlier.

First, quit saying MCATs. You sound like my mom who has no idea of how to apply to medical. It is MCAT. Nothing more, nothing less.

Second, give yourself about three or more months to study for the test. I suggest taking it before you are ready to apply to give yourself some cushion time (if you need to retest, you can).