How Early to Apply for Alternative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgirl09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Since my application is pretty late and schools have just begun revewing my apps in teh past two weeks, I am thinking about getting started on thinknig of a back-up plan. I am curious as to when these deadlines for 1-year programs are that I can do between now and next cycle. Is there somewhere I can search this type of thing? When should I get started? Can I wait until Jan or so or is that too late? I still have a lot of hope but you never know with such a competitive group every year.
Thanks for any help. I just want to cover my bases adn do not want to NOT go to school for that year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its not even November yet yo

Hey everyone. Since my application is pretty late and schools have just begun revewing my apps in teh past two weeks, I am thinking about getting started on thinknig of a back-up plan. I am curious as to when these deadlines for 1-year programs are that I can do between now and next cycle. Is there somewhere I can search this type of thing? When should I get started? Can I wait until Jan or so or is that too late? I still have a lot of hope but you never know with such a competitive group every year.
Thanks for any help. I just want to cover my bases adn do not want to NOT go to school for that year.

there is a forum on SDN called SMP. special masters program. Go check it out. Tons of very helpful information.

I applied to my MS in October. That way I was able to start immediately the following fall. I wanted to ensure that I minimized my downtime between rejection to improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is a forum on SDN called SMP. special masters program. Go check it out. Tons of very helpful information.

I applied to my MS in October. That way I was able to start immediately the following fall. I wanted to ensure that I minimized my downtime between rejection to improvement.

Yes. thanks. I def will. I just don't want to miss any deadline dates and then be stuck in march-may with no interviews / acceptances and nothing to do. We all know its gonna be a B**** to find a job the way things are right now!!

Do you think schools would look down upon simplly finding a job? I need to pay off school loans......... what do you think?

A biotech lab job could be good. :)

Yes. thanks. I def will. I just don't want to miss any deadline dates and then be stuck in march-may with no interviews / acceptances and nothing to do. We all know its gonna be a B**** to find a job the way things are right now!!

Do you think schools would look down upon simplly finding a job? I need to pay off school loans......... what do you think?

well they won't look down on it, however it will do nothing to strengthen your application.

If your app is awesome and the only reason you may be denied is because you applied late, then work for a year.

however if you think there are areas of your app that are lacking, use the interim year to fix those areas.