How Early to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How early is the "ideal" time to apply? Would submitting the primary to AMCAS in early June, and submitting all the secondaries by the end of July, be ideal?

EDIT: I should add that I've already got all my coursework, MCAT, and LOR's in order

Members don't see this ad.

How early is the "ideal" time to apply? Would submitting the primary to AMCAS in early June, and submitting all the secondaries by the end of July, be ideal?

shaker,

I assume you have done everything in regards to the MCATs and getting your LORs out of the way. I would suggest as people have done for me prior is to send submit the AMCAS in June and the secondaries. I wouldn't say this is the ideal, but I believe it is the the way most applicants will approach the cycle. Remember that most schools are rolling except for like Cornell and Harvard, to name a few. All I can say is that the cliche, "The early bird gets the worm." is not only appropriate but also an understatement.

That would be ideal as long you have your stuff together and are not rushing. Also consider if you want yor spring grades to show. If you do, you may have to wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
id send in all the stuff as soon as you possibly can. the secondaries will actually get sent to u one by one over the course of 2 months, so i would make a goal like turn them back in within 3 days, within the week, etc as opposed to something like the end of july

EDIT: I should add that I've already got all my coursework, MCAT, and LOR's in order
Will your spring grades be available to be verified in early June?

If your spring grades are good you're better off waiting.

Secondaries don't go out until mid-July/Aug/Sept. And interviews start in Sept/Oct.

If you wait to get your Spring grades in you'll probably submit mid June - get verified VERY quickly (2 cycles ago I submitted beginning of July and was still verified within 5 business days). I still got secondaries as early as everyone else and I still had early interviews and an acceptance on 10/16. Up until early July everyone who has submitted is basically the same because you have to wait for secondaries anyway. Any later than that and you start being "later" than others but not necessarily in a really bad way until Aug or so.

On or around May 6th AMCAS will be available and on or around June 4th you can submit it at the earliest. Then get your secondaries in July and submit that ASAP.