How effective is Arestin for Periodontitis? Help this dude out..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumX

Spinning
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
DDS's, need your advice here.

My dentist told me last week that I have "moderate periodontitis", with "pockets as deep as 5-6 mm", whatever that means.. I tried to do some literature research and wasn't very impressed (reports vary). AND it will cost me 400 $ for 10 teeth; apparently it's not covered by dental insurance).

I just wanted to know the overall consensus, if any exists. Should I go ahead and do it? I didn't want to refuse something that could prove helpful.. I'm an MD but know jack-**** about teeth. Always had a phobia from dentists since I wore braces many years back...

Members don't see this ad.

DDS's, need your advice here.

My dentist told me last week that I have "moderate periodontitis", with "pockets as deep as 5-6 mm", whatever that means.. I tried to do some literature research and wasn't very impressed (reports vary). AND it will cost me 400 $ for 10 teeth; apparently it's not covered by dental insurance).

I just wanted to know the overall consensus, if any exists. Should I go ahead and do it? I didn't want to refuse something that could prove helpful.. I'm an MD but know jack-**** about teeth. Always had a phobia from dentists since I wore braces many years back...

Well i've heard good things about it but it varies from person to person. Number one you have to make sure you are flossing correctly or it won't matter what you throw at perio its not going to improve.

I wouldn't do it unless you have already done local scaling and root planing in the affected areas. Then after about 8 weeks, follow-up. If the pockets remain, 5-6 consider arrestin (or flap surgery). If improved, no arrestin. my opinion is that initial therapy should be done prior to arestin.

what are you all taught out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.