How elaborate should I get on AMCAS ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alex1803

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now I only have a paragraph or two that briefly describes what the activity was and what I took away from the experiences. I didn't go into too much detail. Is this the right thing to do or should I fully explain and describe as many details as I can? I originally thought that this area on the application was for Adcoms to generally see what you were up to and ask about more detail in interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm having a similar problem.

I think I'm going to keep it short and simple and just have enough info there so they know what my roles are. I have a feeling if it's too lengthy, they are going to get bored and end up skimming through it. Keep it simple. But if there's something that you want them to know and couldn't fit it in your PS, then I would jot those down as well.

Yeah, I agree. I think I'm basically going to tell what the activity was, some specifics on how long I did it, briefly what I did, and what I took away from it (and how that relates to me being a physician).

Members don't see this ad :)
Alex1803 said:
Yeah, I agree. I think I'm basically going to tell what the activity was, some specifics on how long I did it, briefly what I did, and what I took away from it (and how that relates to me being a physician).
Sounds like you guys have the right idea. Please make sure to not have a carbon copy of the EC description in your personal statement if you choose to mention a particular EC activity - it'll make you look lazy. Good luck. :thumbup:

Short and sweet, baby. Think about how you would feel after reading hundreds and hundreds of AMCAS apps as an ADCOM member. I would appreciate someone who could really get at the 'meat' of what they wanted to say.

I wrote what I wanted to write and then went back and downsized it by ~30-40% (except for 1 or 2 activities that warranted a little bit more info).