How essential is leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RdBruce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys

I have a 3.9+ sci and cumulative gpa and a 34 MCAT. I have 100+ hours of shadowing and 200+ hours of hospital volunteering. I've 3 summers of research ending in a publication.

I'm applying next cycle and I'm OK with going to any US allopathic school. Is having no leadership experience going to be the kiss of death for me? I'm a senior so it's too late for me to become a club officer. Would it be OK for me to not have leadership experience and if not, could you please make some suggestions for me?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It is not essential. It definitely looks good though. Just keep doing what your doing and you will be fine. What was your volunteer experience? What kind of research? MCAT breakdown?

You will 100% get interviews if you apply broadly. Just work on those interview skills in the meantime and show schools you are keeping yourself busy with the time in between.

Leadership isn't required, but it would make you more appealing to the more-competitive schools, and it would encourage overlooking other weaknesses.

Do you have teaching or nonmedical community service? What about hobbies, sports, or artistic endeavors? Your basics are very solid, but it would be nice to see something to help you stand out.

What do you think of starting a special interest group with the goal to accomplish something important by June? Or volunteering to lead a committee? Or training newbies in your lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.

I've trained newbies in my lab and when I volunteered; I didn't think those were very important experiences but I'll include them. I've been member of a few clubs during undergrad but I won't be holding a leadership position in any of them.

I'm a commuting student so I haven't been too involved in on-campus organizations. I'm worried about coming off as an introvert because my hobbies are modeling miniatures, jogging, and bodybuilding. I've played sports and organized games but with clubs that weren't associated with my school.

Should I include the non-school associated sports? They were primarily with friends so I don't know who I could put down as a contact.