How Essential Is The Lab Component of General Chemistry/Physics/ORGO To The MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swollcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am at present preparing to take General Chemistry II and General Physics I while beginning to study for the MCAT. I understand in the grand scheme of things that the lab component of the aforementioned classes are key to gaining a holistic understanding of the topics at hand, but as far as MCAT content is concerned how essential are the labs to what is actually tested? The courses I am taking include mandatory labs and obviously I plan on doing well in both lecture/lab as a means of earning a top grade, but I want to be as efficient as possible in my studies especially when the content of the courses and the MCAT overlap.

Does the majority of the MCAT physical science content come from the lecture, lab, or both and is it the same or different in chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry?

I ask because biology was extremely one sided. While the labs served to enforce what I learned in lecture, I would definitely not be less prepared for the MCAT had I not had the lab. Moreover, the labs didn't really provide me with a visual stimulus of what I was learning which is what I would expect them to be for. I was much better off drawing the mechanisms/processes on paper. Is this the case with chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The whole topic depends on how the labs are run at your school. You should ask other pre-meds at your school that have taken the MCAT. At my school, I thought the labs prepared us well for the MCAT for a variety of reasons.

The whole topic depends on how the labs are run at your school. You should ask other pre-meds at your school that have taken the MCAT. At my school, I thought the labs prepared us well for the MCAT for a variety of reasons.

agreed. i mostly played with my dick during organic chemistry labs and regretted deeply when lab technique passages periodically popped up during my exams.

i payed the price with a 9 in BS.