How family friendly is YOUR school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i61164

Polar Bear, MD
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to med schools and taking my wife and daughter along for the ride. I want to apply to schools that will offer the best possible quality of life for my family.

I read in another forum that some schools have three bedroom apartments for families and many are occupied by stay-at-home-moms (or dads). This sounds like a great community that is conducive to trading babysitting. The only problem is that I don't know which schools have this type of arrangement.

I have also heard that some schools will include money in your financial aid budget for daycare and that you don't have to actually spend that money on daycare. Effectively, your spouse could stay at home and you could borrow "daycare" money to cover some of their expenses. Is this true?

If you know anything about these or any other things that make a school more attractive to a family where the non-medical student spouse wants to stay at home, please post the info here. I am especially interested in info on schools in the South, but post about any school because the info will help someone, even if not me. I have to decide where to apply soon because I am applying to schools in the summer/fall of '04.

Members don't see this ad.